Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

The K&N Duct Tape performance mod! It works!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The K&N Duct Tape performance mod! It works!

(;91 kat 600)
    I finally figured it out. They say that K&N filters suck because it will never tune right. That's pretty much true. I've tried every jet and every needle position. The best I ever had it running gave me a bit of hesitation in the 3-4k RPM.

So i got the stock airbox.. however it didn't go on becasue I neglected to realize that it wont' fit with the air shocks compressor in the way

... yes.. someone else put air shocks on my kat.

So i took some duct tape (actually some specialized thermal tape I had laying around). It's 2" tape, and I rolled it around a couple of times. It covers about 80% of the filter area. Now since the filters are pleated, there is still nearly the same surface area, it just changes the fluid dynamics entering the surface... which somewhat replicates the stock airbox.

It ran pretty good but a bit lean on the pilots...

a minor adjustment and the bike runs just abuot right! I have a second kat- completely stock.. and the modded out tricked out green machine feels smooth as silk. The stock black kat feels like... a 600cc kat. pretty normal. Anyways I accidentally let the front tire come off the ground with the green machine -- i didn't know how responsive it would actually be! Holy frijoles batman.

I'm psyched.. anyways... that's my story.

pics!

Good deal on makeing headway on the elusive K&N..

No really .. Pics!!!

Comment

Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Ok stupid question, Why have a K&N if you are going to block off 80% of it.

I would imagine that would flow less than the stock element.

Tmod

Comment

dude i would realy like to see some pic's i amd having some issues with this on my 91 750. ar eyou running 4 small k&n's or just one in the stock box?
          let her ride! she might like the vibrations and quit bitchin

91 kat 750 vance and hines pipe
          dyno jet 120's
          k&n filter, and 86 gsxr cams.

92 yamaha blaster stage 3 kit
          98 f-150 k&n filter, 2 in lift and chip set
          1988 checkmate 2881 550 hp 600 ft/lb tork dynoed
          1947 studebaker pickup 502 w/450 hp
          1935 chris craft 17 ft w 238 v 8

Comment

Working...
          X