X

kat newbie loking for help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kat newbie loking for help

Maybe it's a dumb question but.. when i turn my key to on I only get my headlight as a running light and no rear light, but my brake light works,so my question is does the bike need to be running to get rear tailight on?

Oh and please be gentle as this is my second foray into bike rebuilding and me and electrical don't get along so well. haha.

thanks

Re: kat newbie loking for help

Originally posted by 88kat
    Maybe it's a dumb question but.. when i turn my key to on I only get my headlight as a running light and no rear light, but my brake light works,so my question is does the bike need to be running to get rear tailight on?

Oh and please be gentle as this is my second foray into bike rebuilding and me and electrical don't get along so well. haha.

thanks
    Being gentle with thew Newbie

Anyhow, When you turn on the key, you should get the rear taillight coming on as well as the headlight. The bike doesnt need to be running.

Do your blinkers also work in the rear? I would start looking for either loose connections, unhooked wires ect, you can take off the seat to get at some of the wiring leading to the back. With a cheap test light, you'll be able to see if you have any juice going back there.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

First thing I would check would be the bulb, first make sure the correct one is installed and that it isn't burnt out.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

thanks i will be checking the bulb to make sure it is the right one. I do have all my blinkers so i am hoping my taillight bulb is just the wrong one or maybe the filament is burnt out.

Comment

you can buy a test light for under $20 at an auto parts store (i recommend the standard, non-battery pick w/cord type). it will be at least the third most useful tool you'll ever buy (fourth if you count beer):

attach the clip to a ground or the frame somewhere with thin paint and poke the wires at the bulb and see if it lights up when the headlight is on. if it does, your bulb is not right. if it doesn't something is not connected somewhere:

be careful if you poke the wire through its rubber sheath as to not mar the wires
          1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
            First thing I would check would be the bulb, first make sure the correct one is installed and that it isn't burnt out.
            Simple things first, check that bulb, I had a similar problem, all I needed was a new bulb

Comment

Found the problem it was an unconected wire i now have a tailight thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat
                Found the problem it was an unconected wire i now have a tailight thanks for the help.
                Glad you found it, Now hold on to the tester, you'll use it a lot in the future
                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                X