X

Rough grinding sound from front tire and back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough grinding sound from front tire and back

i have a 99 kat 600 going down the road i am hearing what sounds like the brakes dragging on the front or back and the chain sounds real lose.I also have started haveing problems starting it.I have to pull the clutch in and hit the starter but sometimes it acts like it isnt registering the fact that the clutch is in i have to pop the clutch lever a few times befor it starts i need some help if anyone else has had this happen how and what did you do to stop it

If you suspect the brakes are dragging, do a simple test, Take it for a little romp and try to coast to a stop, touch the disks, Are they hot? if so they probably are dragging. If they are hot, two things come to mind. Brake hoses that are checked on the inside of the hose and not releasing the pressure <These are supposed to be replaced anyhow as part of maintenence> Or containiminated brake fluid possibly moisture causing the caliper to hang. Either way. If its hot, you have brake issues to address. Or you might need brake pads.

Is it grinding only when you hit the brake?

As for the chain, Adjust it to allow approximately 3/4" to 1" of free play when you are sitting on the bike. I'm refering to up/down play at the center of the unsupported part of the chain.

As for the clutch, Someone will be along that might know clutch handle issues better then myself.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I would suggest that you remove the clutch switch and clean the contacts inside the switch (not the ones that the plug goes on) with some electrical contact cleaner.

It only takes two screws to remove the clutch switch from the bottom of the lever assembly. Then spray it down with the contact cleaner while moving the slider back and forth. Re-install and see how it works.
      -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it
        If you suspect the brakes are dragging, do a simple test, Take it for a little romp and try to coast to a stop, touch the disks, Are they hot? if so they probably are dragging. If they are hot, two things come to mind. Brake hoses that are checked on the inside of the hose and not releasing the pressure <These are supposed to be replaced anyhow as part of maintenence> Or containiminated brake fluid possibly moisture causing the caliper to hang. Either way. If its hot, you have brake issues to address. Or you might need brake pads.

Is it grinding only when you hit the brake?

As for the chain, Adjust it to allow approximately 3/4" to 1" of free play when you are sitting on the bike. I'm refering to up/down play at the center of the unsupported part of the chain.

As for the clutch, Someone will be along that might know clutch handle issues better then myself.
        i dont just hear the grinding when i hit the brakes it is more all the time

Comment

If your brakes are metal on metal, (meaning the pad material is completely gone) this is what you'll get.

The rears on my bike were like this when I got it. Pull the pads and check them.
          -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
          -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Originally posted by mharrison
            I would suggest that you remove the clutch switch and clean the contacts inside the switch (not the ones that the plug goes on) with some electrical contact cleaner.

It only takes two screws to remove the clutch switch from the bottom of the lever assembly. Then spray it down with the contact cleaner while moving the slider back and forth. Re-install and see how it works.
            well this solves one problem one down many ta go

Comment

Working...
            X