Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone with their bike apart at the moment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with their bike apart at the moment?

I need to figure out what wires i need to connect my new gauges to. I ordered the generic illumiglo gauges and need to splice the wires into the headlamp (not the third eye) but am not sure which wires i need to splice into. Can anyone post a pic or help me out by looking in their manual? Thanks
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

the manual for you to download.

Comment

thanks arsenic. If possible i would still like a picture, but i'll let everyone know how the manual helps.

Comment

ok i looked at the wiring and such, but am not sure where to hook in the pos nad neg wires. There are three wires going to teach light. A yellow, a white and a black with white stripe. I'm not sure which ones i am supposed to hook into if these are the ones i need. Any help?

Comment

dvibbert just hooked those illumiglo gauges up, I know because I sold them to him, I PM'd him, so see what he has to say.

Comment

illumiglo

The + wire can go to any switched hot and the negative can tie into any negative on the bike / frame. When I hhoked mine up I removed the bulbs for the speedo and tach. It looks better in my opinion. You may need to trim the cluster housing for the wiresto come out on the backside. Then seal it up with clear silicone / rtv. But the wiring is pretty simple. I just spliced into one of the switched hot wires on the cluster plug. If you have any other questions just PM me and I will try to help.

Comment

well honestly i just don't want to screw anything up, and i'm not too handy with electronics( connecting wires and stuff) There are so many wires in a cluster that i have no idea where to splice in or which ones to splice into.

Comment

Just get a test light and check with the key switched to on to find a hot wire that plugs into the cluster. Then shut it off to ensure that it is not constant hot. That can be your + wire.

Comment

Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill
                  Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                  New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

dvibbert, so i can use any hot wire? Don't the wires have different voltages and stuff? And then what do i do with the ground wire?

Comment

Originally posted by Ulshy55
                      dvibbert, so i can use any hot wire? Don't the wires have different voltages and stuff? And then what do i do with the ground wire?
                      Any hot wire on the bike should be 12v.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

illumglo

That's right 12 voilt is 12 volt and as far as a ground wire any metal surface or harnassed ground will work.

Comment

why not splice your gauge wires into the original gauge lights? personally i wouldn't put any more strain or anything on something as important as the headlights.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

wire their lights to the same 12v circuit that your original bulbs were on. a light is a light up there. any ground will do (black with a stripe) but stay away from the turn signals and panel indicator lights as they are on separate circuits

you can even use some of these guys if you want, leaving the original wire in tact (sort of, they crimp the wire pretty good weakening it).

they are available at any trailer parts store or auto parts store. i am a solder/heat shrink guy, myself

you can't really screw anything up. the lights just won't come on if wired wrong. nothing will explode or cause world crisis...
                            1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                            X