Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Getting about 10 miles to the galon wtf?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting about 10 miles to the galon wtf?

So i have been noticing that my gas economy sucks some serious sack. The way i look at it is, i put in @5gals on saturday, ride to school a couple of times, pick up groceries, and by next saturday with 100miles on the bike im running on reserve.

I keep the engine RPM below 6K most of the time. I change my oil and filter at 500miles even, i do not wheelie or ride over 70mph.

The bike starts and runs fine. Idle is set to about 1K. No smoke in the exhaust, carbs are clean and synced.

There is a slight oil leak from the gasket between the cylinders and the crank case, but it does not effect oil levels between changes.

any idea whats going on?

If your REALLY getting about 10mpg , you got MAJOR problems . I'd START by checking plugs and looking for fuel leaks .
    And I often hit reserve by near 100 miles . I routinely get around 30mpg , which ain't great neither .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

100/5=20 not 10.

Check tire pressure - air up. Check for dragging brakes. Check for tight or misaligned chain. Change your air filter and look for signs of fuel in the box. Is your tank filler gasket shot and your venting in the hot sun?

As above check plugs for signs of rich condition.
      Run a compression test.

Comment

And with a Reserve tank of 1 gallon,

100/4= 25

Comment

Ok , tire pressure won't make milage go down THAT much . I just read an interesting study that showed a 10lb under tire on a compact car only made milage drop about 1mpg , while on an SUV the difference was negligable .
          Also , if your milage is worse than what MINE was (and still ain't so great ) , then either you're running at 10k rpm's EVERYWHERE , or somethin ain't right . I used to get 28-29mpg on the highway , so ....

Comment

Check plugs,
            then floats.

Any gas in the airbox?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

put it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer and see if it is running rich. then tune the carbs to lean it out.

Comment

you change your oil/filter every 500 miles? that i think is a little overboard.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

you pick up groceries on your bike? thats impressive alone.

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
                    put it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer and see if it is running rich. then tune the carbs to lean it out.
                    If his fuel economy is ANYWHERE near as bad as he says it is , the dyno will say "rich" , REGARDLESS of whether it's truly running rich , has worn parts , or has some other odd problem . EGA=waste of time/money in his case
                    Originally posted by guestrider
                    Sure , why not

Comment

Off topic, but related to the above comment.

LOL Groceries are a cakewalk. Hell, if you saw half the crap i've put on mine and rode past cops, You'd say I was out of my mind!! 25 lb bags of tile grout, 2" x 4" x 10' <rear blinkers and the mirrors worked great for this stunt> Even tied a red flag on the ends to keep the police off my neck. Even a 30 packs of beer <g>

Who needs saddlebags LOL
                      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Ok , you MAY have beaten me with the "2"X4"X10' " thing . I thought the fact that I had literally half an engine strapped to my bike was pretty good . Plus the infamous ....

Comment

LOL, Good pic, Its amazing just how much room there really is on a bike when you add more bungee cords :P
                          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Back when I was in college/a bachelor, I could have easily carried a week's groceries on my kat. It doesn't take much space for Raaman noodles & mac & cheese.

Not to mention I used to eat out 70% of meals before I got married.
                            Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in their shoes...
                            Then when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
                            -----
                            2001 Katana 600

Comment

Wow you guys are crazy...I hate to carry stuff when I'm riding...I have a small tank bag and a back pack...I stopped taking the back pack because it was a pain...wouldn't even think of an engine, groceries or anything else...I guess my bike is just my fun ride to work and home...for transporting stuff I use my cage...
                              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                              X