Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Got My New KAT! but lets get her running...(2002) 600 miles.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got My New KAT! but lets get her running...(2002) 600 miles.

Ok Guys,

First let me say this is a great forum and I have been lurking here every since I thought about buying my new Kat. I have just recently bought a "new" Katana, I bought a 2002 with 609 miles from some guy that had to move and sell his bike, I got this bike for 2200.00 dollars, I know what a steal! Here is the deal, he dropped the bike in the parking lot @ 500 miles, and then he lost interest in the bike and allowed it to sit in the Garage with a Half tank of gas for over 3 years. So when I got the bike home I immediately got a new batery and drained the tank of the nasty gas, cleaned the inline fuel filter, and believe me it was nasty, I changed the battery and put half a tank of fresh gas in as well as some Techron carb cleaner. So heres the problem, the bike will start only with the choke at full and will run ok @ half choke but when I remove the choke all the way the bike dies every time. I can get it going by pumping the throttle but everytime I stop the bike or depress the clutch the Engine dies. As long as I have it in gear and running at about 5-6k rpms it runs but it also will backfire a little bit, I wanted to just let it sit in the driveway and run with the choke on to get some of the good gas into the system but my buddy said that doing that was just as bad leaving bad gas in it. I dont want to take it to a mechanic if I dont have too and I am pretty good with basic mechanics, just not compleicated stufff like carbs. So what should I do to alleviate this problem. This is what I was going to do next.

1. Check the plugs.(replace if fneccesary)

2. Clean the fuel petcock.

3. Check for a vaccum leak.

Is there anyway the carbs could have gotten gummed up by the bad gas even though the bike only has 600 miles on it?

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I wanna ride this bad boy.

If you would have searched... you would have found my stock reply "junk in the pilot circuit."

You'll need to pull the carbs and give them a complete cleaning...
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You defiantly need to completely disassemble the carbs and give then a good cleaning, after sitting for 3 years they will defiantly be gummed up.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

+1 to both and also you have to do the initial valve adjustment service since it sounds like the original owner did not.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Should I hav the valve adjustment done the same time that I get the carbs cleaned?

Comment

I just did the same thing with a 01 750. http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...465&highlight=
            Get a gallon of denatured alcohol and some chemical resistant gloves, they sell it at lowes in the paint department. Take the tank off and pour some in the tank, about 2 cups, and swish it around for about 2 or three min and pour it out, It should be a dark brown color. I took the petcock off to pour it out and still had to pour about a cup or two of fresh gas in it to get the old stuff out. Replace the fuel filter. I took the carbs off and took the diaphrams out then put them in a shallow container, I used a old oplastic boat gas tank turned on it's side that I cut in half. just be sure to clean whatever you use befor you put the carbs in, covered them with the rest of the alcohol and let them sit for about 30 min, swish them around and you should notice that the alcohol starts to turn a darker brown, use your finger to make sure the bottom of the bows are clean. I put all of the small parts in a seperate container that I could shake lightly so that it would get all of the parts clean. Reinstall carbs fuel lines ect and replace any that look bad. Get some new NGK plugs get the iridium if you do a lot of riding in town and get the regular if you do a lot of distance riding where the plugs get to a temp to burn the crap off of them. Get some new orings at the hardware store for the top of the carbs. Put fresh gas in and pour some seafoam in with it, use it like the directions say, i think it is a ounce to one gallon.
            You should think about some new brake lines and tires as well, they are somewhat important to you having a good time while riding... and should be replaced every five years.
            Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

The alcohol will dry out all the o-rings... if you go that route, be ready to replace them all.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Yeah no alcohol then.....just carb cleaner? How much of a job is this, if i have the manual and some of the how to diagrams should I be able to clean them myself?

Comment

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Get some new orings at the hardware store
                    I used it and have put about 500 miles on it with no problems, but I replaced the o rings. The alcohol cuts the varnish better than most of the carb cleaners that I have used, except chem-dip but that stuff takes everything that is not metal off.
                    Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman3000
                      Should I hav the valve adjustment done the same time that I get the carbs cleaned?
                      Yes.
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

You should also have the carbs synced.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X