No announcement yet.
X

chain lube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose since WD40 is a penetrating oil it could get passed the sealing rings and dilute the lube.

Kerosene is petro based and will clean and leave somewhat of a lubricating base. Plus it doesn't harm the rubber seals.

I have used mineral spirits mixed with ATF to clean my chains, but can't guarantee that the mineral spirits will not harm o-rings.

Denatured alcohol mixed with oil/ATF would also make a good cleaner. The alcohol will evaporate and leave the oil behind.

As an aside an inexpensive gun cleaner can be made by mixing equal parts of:
    Kerosene
    ATF
    mineral spirits and
    Acetone
    Its known as Ed's Red

Comment

speaking of guns, that reminds me that my sks needs a good cleaning.

Comment

I use PJ1 clear chain lube... Never had a problem with it.. No funky film or greasy looking chain.. I have a gold chain, and after I lube it up and run the Kat for a few miles I look at the chain and rim, nothing there, so I always go with the PJ1 clear chain lube..

-=PEace

Comment

Hey if you need oil heavier than 90 wt. try "STP Oil treatment" which I used on my old chain. Very little flings and the oil/lube sticks to the roller and sprocket. But with my new chain I started with and will stick with Torco Chain Lube.

Comment

Working...
          X