X

Gas in Carbs and Question about Starter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas in Carbs and Question about Starter

Well i just got back from Ft. Lenorwood, and i so wanted to ride my bike but seems like i dont get to for a while now. My bike wouldnt crank when i got home. So i took the panel off and the filter was nasty. So i change the filter and it cranked fine. So i let it sit for about 3 mins and get the fuel cycling threw. Then i cut it off and tried to started it back and now it wont start. I kept trying the starter and now all i get is a whinning sound on the starter. So today i took the carbs off and found gas in it and the air box. The one thing i wanted to ride after getting back and i cant do it. Im not in the Airforce for money, so i dont have much to fix it. So can someone tell me how i can tell if my starter is bad. Thanks and take care.

So i took the panel off and the filter was nasty
    Which panel? Which filter? If air filter, is it stock or K&N?

whinning sound on the starter
    Could be as simple as a dead battery, especially since you probably tried to crank it many times and then only ran the bike for 3 minutes. Charge 'er up and give it another go - subject to conditions below.

So today i took the carbs off and found gas in it and the air box.
    Gas in the carbs is no problem; that's what they're for. Gas in the airbox might be bad, depending how it got there. If you pulled off the airbox and carbs together and gas dumped into the airbox when you tipped the unit, no problem. Clean it up, put carbs and airbox back on, and go. If, however, you removed the air filter and found gas in the airbox when carbs+airbox are still on the bike, then you have a float/needle problem (not good, but solvable). Excess fuel is probably in your cylinders, dissolving oil from them, getting into your crankcase...don't run the bike in this condition.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment in not being able to ride; if it's any consolation I'm feeling your pain right now. Good luck with your bike.

Comment

Sounds like you flooded it. What's the oil level look like in the site glass? If it's higher than you remember, you probably had some gas leak down past the rings... and should do an oil change ASAP.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
      X