X

another carb problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another carb problem

ok when the bike is cold she runs like a champ..after 10 mins of warming up she wont idle for shit...has a jet kit in it running 118 main jets eclip on clip 3 from the top 2 turns out on the pilot screw ..im reading that its either A.) main jet is too big or B.) float height need to be richened up to idle better..any suggestions? yes i have read the carb 101 an a few other carb post but no luck...should mention shes a 88 running 2000 carbs
    My computer Tech job in miramichi,nb,canada
    Adaptive Office Solutions

The screws are 2 turns out, that's a problem, what jet kit do you have, what air filter are you running?

Comment

pods..its a dyno jet kit

Comment

you have pods and it two turns out? I go 3 turns out with the stock filter

Comment

i was going by specs on here.. well kinda.. 3 sounds really rich..i know ivans runs 4 but 3 on stock..ahh ill go test her out

Comment

Ivan dosen't make a jet kit for pre 98 carbs, but that don't matter to you you have 98+ carbs. 2 turns out is less then what I do with no jet kit at all. I work at a Suzuki dealer and they come from the factory really lean, sometimes it's not a problem, but some times it is and I turn the A/F screws to 2 1/4 out, that 100% stock no jet kit. On Dynojet with a Stock filter I go to 3 turns out.

Comment

well i tried the suggested went with 3 turns out..doing the same thing so i tried 3.5 same thing...starting to bother me

Comment

well, it could be about 100 things, valves would be effected greatly upon warm up. Sync might be way off, try those first.

Comment

My first thought was also the valves.......if they are to tight, once they warm, even tighter.........

Comment

Re: another carb problem

Originally posted by dpasch
                    ok when the bike is cold she runs like a champ..after 10 mins of warming up she wont idle for shiate...
                    See , if we're thinking it's a mix problem , that would tell you it's rich somewhere there .
                    Which is why I'm thinking you should test the coils once they're warm . Hit 'em with a hair dryer for a few minutes , then get out your multimeter and repair manual .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Try lowering the needles a little. Whenever I had the clips on the 3rd groove from the top, the bike would bog down at high throttle openings while in 6th gear at low RPMs. I lowerd them to the 2nd groove and it went away. Also, I looked at the Dynojet site and for the 98-06 600, they showed that you replace all the jets with the same size. Suzuki and Factory pro have staggered jetting (the outer cars are richer than the inner ones). Me for example have 117.5's on carbs 1 & 4 and 115s on carbs 2 & 3. I have no starting problems or idle problems. My A/F screws are 2.75 turns out and thats with the K&N and larger donut. Check the plugs and see how they look. Gray plugs are lean condition and black ones are too rich. Also, how does it ride under various loads? If its low end power is the pilots, midrange is needles and top end is mains. Float height is also very important.
                      Who brought the retarded kid?

Comment

havent had a chance to ride it as soon she warms up she bogs...it didnt do it before i switched the needles/jets..it would idle fine..just wouldnt open up because well the jetting was wrong i did change the sync screw some so its most likely out of sync

Comment

well, the carbs are synced to the valves, have the valve adjusted and sync the carbs, that will clear up your problem I think.

Comment

88 600 is screw type valves, you can do that yourself. Set both the IN and EX too .005 inches.

Comment

ok so was going to do the valves today but notice buddy striped one of the allen key bolts to remove the oil lines running to the head...so yea i know use a easy out but thats not the problem...i just noticed something on the dyno jet box it had a label over a laberl which i neber notice so i peeled it off carefully and notice the part numbers were different so i check it online and it shows for the one that i peeled off was for 98 + carbs which i knew but the one below shows for 88-89 carbs...so now its got me think which jet kit do i have in the bike....the more important question is will the needles from the 88-89 carbs work properly in the 98+ because it might be the reason she wont idle properly if they wont ill go buy the proper 98+ kit but figured i'd check first to save myself some money

Comment

Working...
                              X