Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

petcock question - or anyone have an exploded diagram?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock question - or anyone have an exploded diagram?

OK - reading the forums and trying to figure out what's up with my fuel petcock - in reading there is some "little tab" that's easy to get messed up - anyone have a diagram with this "tab" shown? Also - what are the symptoms if someone screws this up? I'm thinking the previous owner screwed it up and I may be suffering the symptoms....
    1994 katana 600 - little TLC and she'll be good as new...

What are the symptoms?

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
      What are the symptoms?
      1) Fuel set to "PRI" it only runs out slowly - would probably take a couple hours to run out of fuel at the rate it was going.

2) engine seem to starve for fuel when taking off, when at higher RPM's, doesn't want to "pull" below 5K RPM

3) when riding and shifting real slow (i.e. light throttle, then close throttle while pulling clutch, granny shifft, let out clutch) for a second or so it's got good power and pulls then falls flat and stutters.

That's about the symptoms as I know them right now - on the "to do" list is to pull the plugs, check their condition and replace.

Comment

Re: petcock question - or anyone have an exploded diagram?

Originally posted by bwiencek
        OK - reading the forums and trying to figure out what's up with my fuel petcock - in reading there is some "little tab" that's easy to get messed up - anyone have a diagram with this "tab" shown?
        I'd bet the little tab is the spring-type deal inside . It sits under the round plastic thing , and if you twist on it wrong it'll be FUBAR . The knob has a ramp , and as the ramp goes up the metal tab , the tab gets pushed into the diaphram , opening it so fuel flows . If you mess that up , it'll either cause it to ALWAYS be on prime , or prime will never work again , depending on HOW you mess it up .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: petcock question - or anyone have an exploded diagram?

Originally posted by md86
          I'd bet the little tab is the spring-type deal inside . It sits under the round plastic thing , and if you twist on it wrong it'll be FUBAR . The knob has a ramp , and as the ramp goes up the metal tab , the tab gets pushed into the diaphram , opening it so fuel flows . If you mess that up , it'll either cause it to ALWAYS be on prime , or prime will never work again , depending on HOW you mess it up .
          So - does it ONLY change the "prime" function so that it won't work well but the other functions it has no bearing on? (i.e. on and res) - I'm thinking that spring/tab might be screwed up a bit as it really trickes real slow - probably would take at least 30-45 seconds to even fill the float bowls... Guess I might have to get the vacuum pump out and test the fuel flow of the petcock on "ON"

Comment

I'm fairly sure that's what the little spring deal does .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

petcock question

I am having problems with my gs400 petcock that sound very similar. A diagram would be a very useful thing. I can't figure out how the brss spring type affair allows furl to flow in the prime position.
              alex

Comment

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96553 has lots of pics...

Turn the selector knob, that turns the pastic piece inside with a ramp. As the ramp pushes against the spring, that tip of the spread pushes against the diaphram. When the diaprham is open, fuel flows.

Res and On requires a vacuum to open the diaphram.

If you have a partial blockage inside... then all 3 positions would flow slowly.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

well hers another thing it could be a vacuum leak. or if its like mine the diphram is shot. if fuel flows while the vacuum line isnt attached than your diphram is at fault and if thats the case than you may have to clean the carbs. because of the litlle peices of the diaphram getting in them. that is if you dont have in line filters. but either way a carb clean is always a good thing to do.
                  time to nut up or shut up
                  Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
                  The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X