X

Clutch question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch question

Ok.. I've searched through the Mechanics 101 section and haven't seen anything that comes close enough to answering my question.

The concern that I have has to do with shifting into 1st mostly.

If I'm sitting at a stop in neutral and then pull in the clutch and shift into first gear the bike jumps a bit. It doesn't want to move while it's in gear and the clutch is in... but it just jumps some right when I shift.

The bike seems to shift just fine through the rest of the gears and the clutch engages when you let the handle out about two thirds of the way and I don't notice that there is any slippage while driving.

Does this sound like a clutch adjustment problem? Or is it possibly a clutch wear problem that needs replacement?

The motorcycle is an '06 Kat with about 4500 miles on it. I only just bought it so I am not completely aware what type of oil is in it, how long ago anything was adjusted or if it has ever been serviced.

I was going to just adjust it and ride test it but I've been called offshore for some work so I thought I'd get opinions before I go back and tackle the possible problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice/answers.

Bryan

no, I doubt it's clutch wear, it's more then likely an adjustment issue

Comment

Re: Clutch question

Originally posted by nannoguy
      If I'm sitting at a stop in neutral and then pull in the clutch and shift into first gear the bike jumps a bit.
      See my bike does this too, mine is a 93 600 with a few miles on it, you're right it only does it going from neutral into first. I used to have an 85 suzuki 250 quadracer that did the same when it was idling too high or got hot, what does your bike idle at when it does it? may play into it...

Originally posted by nannoguy
      It doesn't want to move while it's in gear.. but it just jumps some right when I shift.
      Mine did this too, until i adjusted the clutch, turns out when i got the bike they had put a new clutch cable in it, and it was slowly stretching to the point that it wouldnt fully disengage, adjust the cable and see if it gets any better, i'd be willing to bet it does Let us know how it goes
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Mine lurches a bit when I put mine into first, but nothing dramatic. My TTR125 does the same thing as well. Look for a how to by HS2020 on how to adjust the clutch. I just ordered a new clutch cable, and plan to run though his how to again.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys... the first thing I plan on doing when I get home is adjusting the clutch. Hopefully I'll get home and get it done in time for some weekend riding. I just thought that I would check to see if this was something that was ~normal.

scottynoface -- The bike idles at about 1100 rpm when hot, which is just about perfect if I remember right.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
            Look for a how to by HS2020 on how to adjust the clutch.

I have it bookmarked I figgered I'd save you some time, that search function is a little
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
            X