X

Bogging/Sputtering

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogging/Sputtering

Hello everybody, I have just bought a '93 Katana 600. This is my first motorcycle ever, so please keep in mind that I basically know nothing about them. So, it starts/runs alright except it idles around 3000 rpms, and when I open up the throttle the bike bogs and just doesn't seem to have any power.

I'm not even sure where to start, so any help would really be appreciated here, thanks.

First , try backing the idle down some and see if it WILL idle . Little screw on the left side in that hole .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

OK, yeah...it idles around 1k rpms, which sounds good...It's a little shaky but it does idle. The next thing is this problem at higher RPM's. It is like a sputtering, damn near a chattering noise. It doesn't do it at the lower end of any gear. but when the rpm's go up the sound starts.

Comment

Already back again lol...Adjusting the idle screw made it run better...until it gets hot. Now it can't decide if it wants to stay running or not. I still have this terrible sound too, which to be more specific happens at 4k RPM and above. I'm leaving it sit until I can figure out what this is.

On a side note, I bought it from a younger guy who most likely rode the piss out of it. So, what would be the normal steps to bringing a bike "back to life". I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Joey
          Already back again lol...Adjusting the idle screw made it run better...until it gets hot. Now it can't decide if it wants to stay running or not. I still have this terrible sound too, which to be more specific happens at 4k RPM and above. I'm leaving it sit until I can figure out what this is.

On a side note, I bought it from a younger guy who most likely rode the piss out of it. So, what would be the normal steps to bringing a bike "back to life". I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick fix.
          You sir, are probably correct. Quick being a relative term. As for the idle, if you're not able to get it to idle right with the idle adjuster screw on the left side of the bike, the usual things to correct it are:
          - adjust fuel/air mixture on the carbs via the pilot screws on the bottom of each carb.
          - take carbs apart and clean/soak parts
          - synchronize carbs

I recently had an idle problem on a Kat I bought this year. It would idle great until it heated up, then it would slowly idle down and die unless I gave it gas. The only way to avoid that was to crank the idle adjuster screw way up which of course was no good for riding. I took apart the top 1/2 of the carbs (was unable to get the bowls off due to rounded screws) and cleaned the parts, drained the bowls, changed the frozen choke cable and adjusted the pilot screws. It idles nicely now, even after it heats up.

If you haven't picked up a manual yet, grab a Haynes manual. They're great. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160142993676
          Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in their shoes...
          Then when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
          -----
          2001 Katana 600

Comment

or if u dont want to buy a manuel they have them on here

your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Originally posted by crazyboy68
              or if u dont want to buy a manuel they have them on here

http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...439&highlight=
              I downloaded that one too. It was great to get me started, but the Haynes manual is pretty cheap & more comprehensive. The ebay link I posted for him was only like 5 bucks if I remember correctly.
              Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in their shoes...
              Then when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
              -----
              2001 Katana 600

Comment

If you're afraid maybe the kid rode it into the ground , first thing I'd do is have a compression test done . The tool is cheap and easy to come by , Could probably borrow one from Auto Zone or something . If THAT doesn't tell you anything , a leakdown test will . If THAT comes back good , then there's hope .
                Of course , first thing I always do when I suspect a problem is check the plugs .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Alright, thanks for the help so far everyone, I will buy the manual for sure. I will also take some pics of the spark plugs tomorrow. I'll post them to get your opinions on what direction I should go from there.

Comment

i might just pick one of those haynes up myself. not bad for only 5 bucks
                    your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Working...
                    X