Perplexing Tuning Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perplexing Tuning Question

OK, this may be a kinda long carb question but here it goes:

2006 Kat 600 Stock carb set up Outer carbs ("O") jet size 115, Inner carbs ("I") 112 all air screws at 2.25 turns, all floats at 14mm

My mod set up, 'O' carbs 117 (maybe 117.5), 'I' carbs 115. All air screws at 2.5 turns, floats at 13 mm, needle clips on the 2nd from the top slot. I have also ground out welds in the header pipes and have a scorpion pipe.

I run a K&N air filter and I know everyone doesn't like them, but the bike does run well with it.

Here is the "thing." When I run the smaller donut in the air filter, if I am going about 30-35 MPH (or slower) in 6th gear and start to accelerate with the throttle opened to more than 3/4, the bike will make a chug chug chug until it gets to about 40 or faster then it goes away and the bike accelerates nicely. If I downshift it into 5th, it doesn't do this at all. I think its a rich condition since the exhaust does smell sort of rich. Initially, when it did this was early spring and the needles were at the 3rd slot from the top. I moved the clips up one slot to drop the needles and it went away. Now that its warmer its back. I am reluctant to move the needle clips to the top position for fear of too lean. I supposed I could try changing the float heights to 13.5 mm.

However, if I swap the small donut and put in the larger donut, the bike doesn't do this at all. Even at speeds as low as 25, if I'm in 6th gear, the bike will accelerate smoothly even if I go from closed throttle to full throttle. My only fear is that it may be running lean. I have pulled the plugs and they look fine, not running rich or lean, though at high RPMs, it does make the popping sound when I close the throttle, indicating its slightly lean. I could try raising the needles 1 position and seeing how it runs in the mid range. I'm just not sure about the larger donut because the main jetting is essentially the next size up and the larger donut I think is for fatter jetting. DO you think it would be hurting the bike to keep the larger donut in?

Here are my thoughts:

1) with the smaller donut, raise the float heights to 13.5 mm

2) with the larger donut, raise the needles by 1 position

3)) with the larger donut, increase the I carbs to 120 jets and inner to 117 with the needles clips in the 3rd from the top (though last time I did that, it was sluggish so I want to avoid this)

4) Put the larger donut back in it and leave it.

I did talk to a technician at a dealership and he said it was just too much of a load on it. He didn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box though because he said he only uses 6th gear above 140MPH.....

What do you guys think? I just dont want to run the bike too lean and burn it up. FYI - with the stock airfilter, the bike definitely doesn't have the power it does with the K&N.
    Who brought the retarded kid?

Well, if you are worried about a lean condition, that I would suggest finding a shop with an exhaust sniffer and hooking it up.

2.5 turns out is usually right for a stage 1 jet kit.... backed off to 2.25 stock.

So it sounds almost like you've accomplished the holeshot modified stage 1 kit on your own, and I think those run with the big donut though I'm not sure of the jet sizes in that kit.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I think tomorrow I'm going to put the big donut in and raise the needles up to 3 and see how it rides. Right now I'm not too concerned about lean but when the temp gets cooler and air more denser than I am worried. The factory pro kit came with 2 each of the following: 117's, 120's and 122.5's. I'm using the stock 115s, but moved them from the outer carbs to the inner ones.

Comment

Check out the dynojet tuning guide maybe?

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

or maybe put the 112's back into the mid jets?
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Not sure what the DJ114 is when compared to the Mikuni sizing. I see they do call for the large ring, but am confused about the taper. "Pointing away from the motor".....The K&N directions show that when its installed according to them, the side of the ring closest to the battery is a smaller diameter than the side of the ring closest to the engine, meaning the taper part is actually in the airbox. Does that mean the taper "facing away from the engine?" I think tomorrow I'm going to put the big donut in and raise the needles up to 3 and see how it rides.

Comment

SO this weekend I'm going to increase the jetting, raise the needles and put the bigger donut back in it. Next weekend I'm going to Big Moose Harley Davidson and have it dyno'd. $35 just for fuel mixture reading, about $100 for HP and torque readings (they need to pull the fairing to clip something on a plug wire). Think I should spring the extra $$$$ to get some HP readings?

Comment

If you messed with your carbs like you have you're supposed to run the large dough nut. That dough nut is for jetted carbs, but you basically have jetted carbs.

Comment

That does make sense. The settings are barely above stock for low end, but the upper ranges, the new jetting starts to take over.

Comment

Working...
                  X