No announcement yet.
X

Cylinder Head Leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. I just wanted to make sure I was reading the right torque settings. Thanks guys, I'll put it back together this weekend and let you know how it turned out...(cross your fingers!)

Comment

<---Fingers crossed!

Good luck!
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

sorry to bust in on your thread again, but part # 11141-19C03 fits all years. I have part # 11141-19C02. Which is listed to fit 88-97 Katana 600. The one I have has been supersede to that part # though so I don't know. I'll probably sell the head gasket I have and get a new one.

Comment

I believe that "supersede" means that although the part is exactly the same, they adapted it to better fit the part numbers for the newer bikes they have. Don't quote me on that, but any time I'm bought a "superseded" part for my YZ426F it has been just like the previous part. Hope that helps.

I've actually got a question that I was directed to ask you arsenic...when I pulled my engine, I was going to put it back quicker than what it has now taken me. I loosely stuck some tape on the coil wires to remember the routing, but stupid me, not stuck enough. 1&4 are easy, but which wire goes to which plug from coil 2?

reconstyle-thanks for crossing your fingers, I'll let you know on monday if it worked!

Comment

The coil on the right is spark plug two and three. Check them by length. The shorter wire goes on 3

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
              The coil on the right is spark plug two and three. Check them by length.
              Yeah, I know it's two and three, but they are both the same length...I wanna say I remember the top one going to 2 and the bottom one going to 3, but I'm just not certain.

Comment

that sounds right, do it that way and if it sounds off try it the other way.
                From what I can tell in the Haynes manual I have sitting right here you are correct.

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

YEAH! No more leaky!!! The bike still runs a little rough (used motor hadn't been started in a couple years, same w/ carbs) and the idle vasilates between 2200 and 4000 rpm, but at least it's running and not leaking, right?

I'll post some pics of the newly installed engine tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle View Post
                      Well, before you assume that you need a new gasket, where EXACTLY is the leak coming from, is it around the whole block, exhaust side, intake side?

Take a couple pics if you can, it may be coming from some where else, I'd hate for you to have to take the whole head off, replace the gasket, and it still leak ya know?

Taking the head off isn't really all that hard, the cams will have come out. Taking the head out would be a last resort for me, a lot of times I know I've heard about the oil tubes on the exhaust side leaking, the 2 little 'S' shaped tubes...

So try and isolate before you start ripping the head apart.

If you feel that it is FOR SURE the gasket, the manual you can download from here, if you haven't already, has engine dis-assembly instructions that are pretty easy to follow.

Post some pics up if you can!
                      This is very helpful, I have a simular problem.
                      I'll review this and begin my troubleshouting.
                      '93 GSX 1100F Katana
                      '81 GS 1100SZ Katana
                      '79 GS 1000S Wes Cooley
                      '03 R1150GS Adventure (BMW)
                      '05 XR650L (Honda)

Comment

see, the search button works

Comment

Working...
                        X