Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd no start problem, please help

Ok
    this is a weird on
    installed a stage 1 factory pro jet kit, 5* advancer, and new exhaust on my 90 kat. This was about 4 months ago. Got it all done and the bike fired right up and ran absolutely perfect. I then broke my leg and it sat for a few months. When i went to start it up a few weeks ago, it started. When i went to start it up a little later, it didn't start. It tried to kick over and start, but nothing.

I've been working on it, relooked at everything, took the tank off, checked for spark, covered all the basics. Now here what happens:

If i put the choke on, and push start button, it turns over, and every now and then tries to "start". If i do the same and hold the throttle open, it starts, but barely barely runs, and I mean barely runs. It did this a few times, then just didn't try running anymore. It smells horrible.

Any commons problems I should check? It's almost like the bike isn't getting gas, but i know it is, it's in the carbs.

ANY help at all? This is my first bike, so I'm lost... Thanks, Justin

The gas in your carbs has varnished and isn't allowing gas to go into the chamber correctly.

Option 1: Carb Cleaner, Carb Cleaner, Carb Cleaner. I took off the fuel lines and forced cleaner down the tubes, let it sit, turned it over and did it again. Eventually the bike started and I was able to run some Seafoam through it.

(I don't actually know if my way is acceptable, but it worked...For now)

Option 2: Carefully remove the float bowl and clean them, reinstall, clean the outside of the carbs and run Seafoam when it's running again.

Option 3: Total carb breakdown and rebuild (Mine's planned for winter(ish)) good time to clean everything and start again.

Like I said, Option 1 worked for me but it may not work for everyone, and it may not be good to do at all.

L.
    [email protected]

Comment

Yup, I would say that gas is THU or through!

Did you put stabilizer in it? If not then that is probably the problem.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I don't know why but I let gas set in my bike all winter long and I never had this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskat1100
          I don't know why but I let gas set in my bike all winter long and I never had this problem.

You should have seen my lawnmower gas varnish
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

i did put stabalizer in it over the winter. Actually last winter i didn't and it started up fine. I figured I would have to tear everything out and clean out the carbs. I was thinking a float was stuck or something, so ill just tear it down and drain the gas out then clean it all. Thanks, Justin

Comment

ok well i took everything off, clean out the carbs thoroughly, put it all back together, and tried to fire it up. Now it won't even TRY to start, just turns over and over. Seems like there is no spark or something. I'm going to have to check the plugs now.
              What size socket gets these out and what are the best plugs for the pre 98?

Comment

Originally posted by redblack90kat
                ok well i took everything off, clean out the carbs thoroughly, put it all back together, and tried to fire it up. Now it won't even TRY to start, just turns over and over. Seems like there is no spark or something. I'm going to have to check the plugs now.
                What size socket gets these out and what are the best plugs for the pre 98?
                How long did you try to crank it? Maybe you just need to help the battery out a bit.
                [email protected]

Comment

on and off for about 3 minutes
                  battery was fully charged
                  carbs were definately getting gas, as it poured out the bottom of the bowls when i loosened the screws. would have to be spark as far as I can guess, anything spark related that is prone to go on these bikes. I can't think of anyhthing else besides changing the plugs...

Comment

Finding a socket to get to the plugs can be tough . I forget what size exactly (I'm wanting to say 18mm ...) , but look for a "cheap" one , as it'll be a little thinner , which you need to get down there . You sure you didn't maybe pull the plug boots a little loose when messing around in there ? I'd go over the plug wires and make sure everything's tight , since you were messing around under there ....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Finding a socket to get to the plugs can be tough . I forget what size exactly (I'm wanting to say 18mm ...) , but look for a "cheap" one , as it'll be a little thinner , which you need to get down there . You sure you didn't maybe pull the plug boots a little loose when messing around in there ? I'd go over the plug wires and make sure everything's tight , since you were messing around under there ....
                      yes matt it is 18mm

Comment

Have you checked the fuel filter?
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

didn't check fuel filter, where's it at?

Comment

On the pre 98's , the only fuel filter is the screen in the petcock . Unless someone ADDED fuel filters .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ok so get this
                              i changed all 4 plugs, put everything back on, and the bike fired right up, and ran awesome for a bit. So i put all the plastic on thinking the problem was solved. After about 3-5 minutes of messing with the throttle and choke cables (getting the bike to idle right), the bike started running funny again. There was a little bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust. It seemed like the bike was getting "too much" gas and drowning out the plugs. Is this possible? I have the A/F plugs unscrewed 2.5 turns, should i change it to 2.25 turns and start over?

The original plugs were pretty black when I took them out. hard to believe new plugs made it fire up that quick and that easy. Any help or ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X