KAT 1100 Idle Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAT 1100 Idle Issue

I have a 1993 Katana 1100.

Bike is finally running well after some winter mods but has started running a little weird.

Bike idles high at about 3,5000 rpm.

I tried adjusting the Idle adjustment. The idle Adjustment seemed to only be capable of lowering the idle. I then tried some Sea Foam additive.
    Now the bike Idles high
    I have tried adjusting the Idle adjustment again but it seems to have no effect no matter what direction I turn the dial.
    The choke works as it should.

I have noticed that I can lower the Idle and/or stall the bike by placing my hand over the Air filter.
    Any ideas?????

Throttle cable too tight ?
    What mods did you do to make it "run better now" ?
    Check to make sure the idle screw still moves the linkage in there while you're at it . Maybe it broke or you unscrewed it all the way ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      Throttle cable too tight ?
      What mods did you do to make it "run better now" ?
      Check to make sure the idle screw still moves the linkage in there while you're at it . Maybe it broke or you unscrewed it all the way ....
      Well its the best assumption that I possibly unscrewed it all the way.
      Would that account for the idle being too high?
      Am I going have to pull the cabrs again to reconnect the IDde screw.
      I'll take a look tomorrow.
      To get the bike running nicely I actually bought these used carbs, cleaned them and replaced the CDI box.
      It was running fine but the ideal always was a little high but not the high (3,500 rpm) like it is now. I messed with the idle speed screw while at the same time running some seafoam through the carbs.

Comment

Well , here's some things I could think of making it THAT high ....
        Cable sticking or too tight , choke cable sticking (but it'd foul out pretty fast after that) , float bowl drain open (had this one happen to me a few years back ) , busted idle adjuster , stuck butterflies (which I DOUBT) , air leaks ........ I'd loosen the cables first and see what happens .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X