X

Gasoline in Oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline in Oil?

So before I winterized the bike I was riding one day and suddenly my ride just sputters to a stop. It would not hold the throttle at all....no idle. I somehow managed to coax it home and garaged it (it was anyways close to winter).

Now I came back after a couple of months of vacation abroad and decided today to revive my ride for the summer. So one of the things I did was recharge the battery, started the bike and it was perfect. No problems. Then I changed the oil and I saw the damndest thing....the oil was thin as water....and it SMELLED OF GASOLINE??? Also once i removed the filter there was a ton of the same thin gasoline oil mix in it?

So what has happened here is that somehow gasoline is finding its way into my oil pan and the engine is overheating because of no lubrication??? Am I right? And if this is so where could the leak be from.....the valves? The carbs? Is it an easy fix and can the ride the bike to the repair shop or should I get it towed to be on the safe side?

Please gurus help....I am not a noob (have been riding for 5 years) but havent seen this ever happen?

Any suggestions would be their weight in gold....

The only way fuel can get into your motor is through the carbs. You must have a defective fuel tap coupled with defective float valve(s) - which is allowing the fuel to overflow into the cylinder and then drain past the piston rings and into the sump.

Did you leave the fuel tap on PRI by any chance? (this keeps the tap open). If you've changed the oil, it should be OK to ride the bike to a shop to inspect the problem (assuming the fuel-thinned oil hasn't done any damage).

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured either the vales or the piston heads.....I have had this problem before in this bike and had the valves replaced about three years ago.....maybe the same thing has happened again. The problem is that I dont get to ride very often and the bike lays untouched for weeks together sometimes.....hence the problemo....lets see what the mech says....am taking it there tomorrow

Comment

Or it's way rich for some reason (above problems could account for that , too) , and the excess fuel is working it's way past the rings into the oil .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

happened to me dude, i'd left it on prime i got hydralic lock though
          the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

Originally posted by 7thrifty
            happened to me dude, i'd left it on prime i got hydralic lock though

Did you bend anything?

kulbikr Just so you know we are talking about the float valves in the carbs.. Not the valves in the engine. Actually just a bad petcock could cause this as it is asking a lot for the float valves to hold back all that gas for such a long time.. Over time some is going to seep in.

Comment

Black_peter I had the same problem about three years back when I had to replace the valves in the carbs. Its seems its happened again I think. If it helps I heard a faint clunking sound once I was riding just before it spluttered and died on me. I think one of the valves has "slipped"???? if that can happen then it would explain the gasoline in the oil and the engine over heating and dying???? Dunno......maybe i am just shooting off my head.....I checked the petcock and it was looking good. I DID LEAVE it on RESERVE all winter long dont know if that caused it...???

Comment

According the TheCyberPoet, one of your floats could be stuck open and leaking gas into your engine.
                Roops Photography|facebook|
                03 GSXR 1000
                04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Working...
                X