X

Couple questions from a newb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple questions from a newb

Whats up guys? I just got my first bike, a 1991 Katana 750. Its awesome...I absolutely love it. But I have a few questions. The bike starts up fine and idles at just under 1000rpm. While idling the engine speed fluctuates slightly and i the engine sounds like its running choppy. This also happens when I'm holding the throttle at between 3500 and 4000 in gear. I can hear the engine sounding choppy, and the bike feels like it is budging forward while the engine is making the noise. When I give it more throttle it seem as if the problem stops. Anyone know what this is?

Also, when I come to a stop sometimes i am unable to shift the bike into first gear. It will go into neutral and then not shift into first. Also when i shifts\ into first sometimes it feels as if there is a loud clunk and drop from the engine.(is that normal)

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, i bought this bike without test riding it cause i wanted to learn at home. The used bike dealer in nj said he would warranty the stuff, so i figured i'd try and find out what it is before i bring it back and ask him to fix it.
    1991 Katana 750

Being new to motorcycles blows, but at least i'm learning.

Search for the clutch adjustement how-to first .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: Couple questions from a newb

Originally posted by shawnk
      The bike....... idles at just under 1000rpm. While idling the engine speed fluctuates slightly and the engine sounds like its running choppy.
      Problem #1 Idle is set too low. Should idle between 1000 and 1500. Closer to 1250 if I remember correctly.

This also happens when I'm holding the throttle at between 3500 and 4000 in gear. I can hear the engine sounding choppy, and the bike feels like it is budging forward while the engine is making the noise. When I give it more throttle it seem as if the problem stops. Anyone know what this is?
      This is an adjustment on the carburetor. Either your air/fuel mixture screws are slightly off, or you need the needle height adjusted.

Also, when I come to a stop sometimes i am unable to shift the bike into first gear. It will go into neutral and then not shift into first. Also when i shifts\ into first sometimes it feels as if there is a loud clunk and drop from the engine.(is that normal)
      I agree with MD here. Check out the "how-to" on clutch adjustments or tell the dealer it needs one done.

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, i bought this bike without test riding it cause i wanted to learn at home. The used bike dealer in nj said he would warranty the stuff, so i figured i'd try and find out what it is before i bring it back and ask him to fix it.
      The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. If you don't know, you need to ask. That is what we are all here for.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Sync carbs, for fluctuating idle.

My bike does the same thing sometimes at a stop light (hard to get into first). I was under the impression that was common on these bikes. I have been using the "squeez the clutch and let it out" technique, never fails to go into gear after that.

md86, will a clutch adjustment cure this problem?
        "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
          This is an adjustment on the carburetor. Either your air/fuel mixture screws are slightly off, or you need the needle height adjusted.
          how does this work?

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaJim
            My bike does the same thing sometimes at a stop light (hard to get into first). I was under the impression that was common on these bikes. I have been using the "squeez the clutch and let it out" technique, never fails to go into gear after that.

md86, will a clutch adjustment cure this problem?
            Worth a shot . I'd BET you see a difference .....

Comment

Originally posted by owace
              Originally posted by Court93kat
              how does this work?
              Take carbs off , get under them (don't flip them unless you drain them) , turn the little screw in the circle near the engine side out a 1/2 turn . If you see brass circles there , you gotta get out the drill and dig them bitches out ...

Comment

Working...
              X