X

Fast Idle, Other questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Idle, Other questions

I haven't had much time to work on my new bike, but will have some time this weekend. When I bought the bike it basically had 1000 miles on it, but had sat for 6-8 months. It ran very rough at first, sputtering and stalling and the like. I ran some seafoam through it and replaced the bad gas with good.

This weekend I plan to change the plugs and oil, but, while I've got stuff torn apart was wondering if there is anything else I can do to attempt to remedy the following issues that evidently were not related to bad gas:

It idles pretty fast, above 2k. I turned the idle screw A LOT but still the high idles persists. The strange thing is, every once in a while the idle will totally drop off the face of the earth, and the bike will die. This seems to happen when I pull into the driveway. Other times, its got a sluggish/rough throttle response, almost like the choke is on. Its not on, but the bike dies immediately if I turn the choke on more than like 1/8. It doesn't need the choke to start, in fact it won't start with the choke more than 1/8.

So any ideas on things I can check this weekend?

Sounds like the carbs should be cleaned according to the carbs 101 thread also check throttle, choke cable for binding. When you put it all back together make sure there are no vacuum leaks ANYWHERE around the carbs/airbox area. Good place to start I guess?!
    It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

Comment

im guessing vaccum leak for the fast idle

possible the previous owner installed a jet kit?

Comment

I should have clarified that I'm certainly not averse to cleaning the carbs or syncing them, but this bike is basically brand new (no mods or jet kit) it had been owned for less than a month and then garaged for 6-8 months so does it seem plausible that it would require a full scale tear-down and cleaning of the carbs?

As for the vacuum leak, how/where would like check for that?

Comment

Originally posted by vajwb
          I should have clarified that I'm certainly not averse to cleaning the carbs or syncing them, but this bike is basically brand new (no mods or jet kit) it had been owned for less than a month and then garaged for 6-8 months so does it seem plausible that it would require a full scale tear-down and cleaning of the carbs?

As for the vacuum leak, how/where would like check for that?
          yes. fuel will varnish everywhere and clog things up in 6 months. seafoam is great but not a cure-all. if you have some serious varnish in there, the only thing to do is pull and clean them.
          your cables could be sticking too. lubricate them and it may help.
          adjusting my throttle and choke cable cured my high idle issue.
          I love my Kat!!
          2000 burgandy 750

Comment

There are many posts on checking for vaccum leaks just search and also check to make sure all your choke plungers are moving freely and closing all the way. Even thought the choke is off at the handlebars it may not be on 1 or more of the carbs.
            It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

Comment

Working...
            X