X

Non-mechanical nebie with a question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-mechanical nebie with a question

I need to get the engine on my 94 kat 600 swapped out, I already have the new engine. Can anyone give me a rough estimate how much this should cost me or how long it should take? Any help would be great, Thanx.

well if you already have all the parts you need, i.e. carbs, wiring, then swapping the engine should only take a few hours, I could actully do it in a matter of minutes, but if it's your first time, a few hours.

Comment

Doing the actual swap took us about 4 hours I think. I'm not sure what a shop would charge...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
        well if you already have all the parts you need, i.e. carbs, wiring, then swapping the engine should only take a few hours, I could actully do it in a matter of minutes, but if it's your first time, a few hours.
        show off (he he he)...
        "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Yeah see I wouldn't know the first thing about it and I really don't want to ruin my bike by attempting it myself and screwing something up. But I think that some of the estimates that I have gotten have been rediculous.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukimama
            Yeah see I wouldn't know the first thing about it and I really don't want to ruin my bike by attempting it myself and screwing something up. But I think that some of the estimates that I have gotten have been rediculous.
            Honestly, it wasn't that hard of a job. The shop quotes you are getting may include stripping the plastics off, moving the rear wheel, etc.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well I've already got all of the plastics off, gas tank off and stuff. Nobody around here really works on suzukis, I think thats why it is so expensive.

Comment

how close to Chicago are you? I'm about 40 miles west of Chicago, and if you want to bring your kat down, I could help you through it.

Comment

Doesn't matter WHAT bike they work on . Swapping engines is really just taking off like 8 bolts , lowering the engine , raising the other one up in it's place , and putting in those bolts . It's putting all the REST of the crap back on that takes all the time ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

see PM.

If you pulled off everything else (seats, fairings, wiring, spark plugs, headers & tailpipe, clutch cover, clutch and throttle cables) then all they would need to do is...

- unbott engine cradle and mount bolts.
                    -loosen rear tire and allow forward travel
                    - remove chain from front sprocket
                    - drop old engine
                    - insert new engine
                    - move front sprocket from old to new
                    - reattach engine cradle and mount bolts.
                    - align the rear tire.
                    (did I forget anything?)

That is maybe, what, 1.5 hours shop time...at the most.

You could then trailer it home and take your time reconnecting the rest. You're not doing this alone; we will be right here.
                    EisBlade
                    Raleigh/Wake Forest, NC

In school, majoring in "bikeless".

Comment

Working...
                    X