X

problems starting a zx7

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems starting a zx7

I have had a buddy of mines 96 ZX7 in my garage for the winter. The thing does not want to start. The only time I can get it to start is if I take the plugs out and use a torch to clean/heat the cylinders. When I do that it fores right up, and will start as long as the motor is warm, it won't start again the next day.

Any thoughts?

www.SOARacing.ca

A torch??
    Can you talk a little more about this technique?

Sounds like it is viciously rich..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      A torch??
      Can you talk a little more about this technique?

Sounds like it is viciously rich..
      A bike mechanic showed me that trick for burning off any unused fuel. It actually works really well. I use a small propane torch. i aim the nozzle into the cylinders and fire it up. I just spray the torch into the cylinders for a few seconds at a time. A couple of shots in each cylinder and its clean and warm and ready to go.

this is the type of torch i use:

this is the trigger nozzle

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Well then it sounds like I'm right..
        For some reason it is pissing gas into the engine fouling the plugs.. But then it runs clean??

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Well then it sounds like I'm right..
          For some reason it is pissing gas into the engine fouling the plugs.. But then it runs clean??
          yeah it seems to run not too bad. this bike was sitting for 3 years before he got his hands on it. It would not fire at all until we cleaned out the carbs and the cylinders (torch method, not on the carbs ). Last week i was going to take it out for its test ride, until I realized that the seat wouldn't go back on with my Kat battery in it. Its too tall. Now I need to get the right battery in.

What do you recomend I look for to solve the fuel problem (if thats the case?).

This bike has a fuel pump (works fine)

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

well, I beieve it's a water cooled, carb bike, they hate the cold, I think it's not getting warm enough. Or really, really rich, that could be it also.

Comment

Beats me...
              Oh one thing.. does it have a choke? I know Kawi used to use an enricher (like the Kat) if this is tied electronically is is coming on when not needed or too much? Or something?

Comment

this spring when i went to start my kat it wouldn't start. turned over... back fired but wouldn't start. changed the plugs and it started like a charm. turns out my plugs were fouled .. just a thought.
                carpe diem

Comment

Originally posted by jwonton
                  this spring when i went to start my kat it wouldn't start. turned over... back fired but wouldn't start. changed the plugs and it started like a charm. turns out my plugs were fouled .. just a thought.
                  first thing I did was change the plugs. It does have a choke, Appears to be working as designed. Compression is a little low (can't rememebr the #'s of hand). I know that the PO had a big bore Kit installed with adj cams or something like that (don't often get into the guts of bike motors so I'm not sure about that but I do have the receipt from when he did the motor work back in 97). Would valves that needed adjusting cause similar symptoms? When it was running it sounded like the valves could use an adj.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                  X