X

High idle and loose chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle and loose chain

So a few days ago I noticed the Kat was starting to idle around 2 grand while sitting at a light. I thought that maybe the oil was bad and I changed it. I also cleaned the airfilter K&N. It's still idling around 2 grand. I know the throttle cable is not pinched or sticking. The carb boots appear to be in good shape. Any ideas on what might cause this problem? Dirty carbs?

Secondly should the chain be resting on the chain guide, the little rubber piece that sits ontop of the swingarm towards the front of the bike. I noticed this when I had the bike apart yesterday. Is it normal for the chain to be sitting on the guide or should it be up off the guide?

chain is ok on the gaurd, all my bikes have a worn chain gaurd cos its their to gaurd your swinger from your chain, your idle could be dirt in your carbs or out of balance a bit, does turning down your tickover solve it?
    the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

Turning the plastic adjuster or the carbs slows it down to about 1 1/2 but once it gets warm it jumps up to 2 again. The adjuster only moves about half a turn if that much.

Comment

sound like you have a choke or vacum problem.check your vacum lines first.

Comment

I was thinking stuck floats. Mine did sort of the samething, and I ran some techron through it and it seemed to go away. Also, turn your handlebars from side to side while it's running to see if the rpm changes (just in case theres a cable problem). I'm not sure on the chain. I just usually see if the center of the bottom of the chain moves more than about a 1 1/2 inches. That's about where I try to keep the sag at.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
          X