X

Trying to start a Kat 750 !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to start a Kat 750 !!!

I have a Kat 750 that was given to me when I bought my current Kat 600. It turns over but won't fire. I know the ignition box, spark plugs, ignition coils and wires are good. I had coils and wires tested and came out O.K. Ignition box is from my running bike so that's O.K. and spark plugs are NGK and new. Could anyone suggest the next thing or several things to check. Oh yeah, air filter should still be new since the bike has less than 4K miles on it when it was wrecked. Can anyone give advice?.....Larry

Battery? Neutral switch? Clutch safety?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
      Battery? Neutral switch? Clutch safety?
      Battery is off my running bike. It is in neutral.Sorry for my ignorance but what is clutch safety?......Thanks Steve

Comment

2 wires coming from the cluthc lever . Means clutch has to be pulled in . But the bike wouldn't even turn over if THAT were the issue ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          2 wires coming from the cluthc lever . Means clutch has to be pulled in . But the bike wouldn't even turn over if THAT were the issue ....
          That's true. Everything that immediately comes to mind I've tried......I think. Any more suggestions?

Comment

And the battery is good?
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

If it turns over then the battery and starting system is working fine.

Do a compression test first. No use messing with carbs and ignition if you have mechanical problems!

Comment

well, see if the spark plugs are getinng a negative signal, if it's always positive, then you won't get spark and the problem would be with your signal generator. If you are getting spark, then do the compression test.

Comment

Are the carbs getting fuel?
                  Do you have pod filters on the bike?
                  "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Just check all youw fuel lines and connections. make sure it is set up right.

Comment

Well back to basics. 4 things needed for any engine to start: spark, fuel, compression, and timing.

1 Start with spark. Check for spark with the plug connected to the cap, touch the base of the plug against a suitable earth (valve cover) crank engine. If you get spark move to 2. No spark check HT lines, caps, coils, signal generator...

2 Fuel. crank engine then remove spark plug. Is it dry or wet?

3 Check compression. I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. A cracked carb boot, a loose carb balancing connector... then do a proper compression check.

4 Timing. Has the engine been disassembled since the bike was runnig last?

If the engine was running and no major dismantling has taken place number 3 and four are unlikely, the most probable cause will be gone off fuel. If you do have a spark try squirting some easy start on the air intake. If it fires your problem is with the carbs.

If you have no spark I will test the HT leads first. Test them with the caps on as they can also go off. Most likely cause will be rusty copper inside the HT lead. Replace the leads or (if money is tight) recut the ends so you can get a good contact with the thread at the cap.

Good luck. The most obvious is the most likely so start there first

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
                        If it turns over then the battery and starting system is working fine.

Do a compression test first. No use messing with carbs and ignition if you have mechanical problems!
                        Not true. If the battery is low on voltage, it could spin the starter but not have enough power to start the bike.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X