X

idle issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle issues

Ok, I have the bike all back together after doing a valve adjustment, carb sync, plugs, oil, new chain and sprokets.

The bike is runs smoothly, however the idle is all wierded out. Once the bike is up to operating temp, it will idle high and when I hit the throttle, it takes along time for it to drop back down. ok, I am at a light, stopped, it will idle about 2200 and take about a minute to drop back to normal idle. if I blip the trottle up to 3-4K, same thing... a good minute or more to drop. sometimes I even have to turn the idle screw a bit to get it to drop down.

what could be wrong? the throttle cable does not seem to be binding since i can turn the bars and the idle wont change. I have lubed the cable too.
    this only happens when the bike has been running for 20 + min. during warm up, it works normally.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    I love my Kat!!
    2000 burgandy 750

well sounds like a hanging throttle. caused by lean pilot circuit. maybe 1/2 turn out fix.

a few things... did you sync the bike at normal operating temp? Did you make sure you sync at 1750? and then made sure to turn your idle back down to 1100 +-100 rpm? Also on the idle, it is best if you ride 10 plus miles or so and then come to a stop light or somewhere and then set your idle.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Or crap IN the pilot dircuit .....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

or your RPM's are just adjusted to high, if you want to start with easy things start with that.

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
          well sounds like a hanging throttle. caused by lean pilot circuit. maybe 1/2 turn out fix.

a few things... did you sync the bike at normal operating temp? Did you make sure you sync at 1750? and then made sure to turn your idle back down to 1100 +-100 rpm? Also on the idle, it is best if you ride 10 plus miles or so and then come to a stop light or somewhere and then set your idle.
          The bike was at normal temp with a fan on it to keep it cool. Idle was actually about 2k since I could not really dial in the 1750. I then set the idle (after the sync) to about 1100.
          maybe I will pull the plugs to see if it is running rich or lean. not sure what to do here. I have 300 mile trip coming up this weekend and REALLY wanted to take the bike. But unless this issue is fixed i wont chance it.
          I love my Kat!!
          2000 burgandy 750

Comment

oh... forgot to mention that I have run a tank full of seafoam thru the system already.
            I love my Kat!!
            2000 burgandy 750

Comment

Crank your idle speed adjuster screw back down. I had the same symptoms. I used the idle speed to bump up the speed for syncing but didn't turn the idle down enough after I was done.

Comment

Mine is the same exact way, how did you fix it?

Comment

You don't look at the time stamp much do you? This thread is from 2007.

Comment

nope, actually hoping the guy was still around.

Comment

Last Activity: 07-16-2009 08:21 AM

Comment

I turn the screw, Idle about 1000, juice the throttle, comes back nicely, turn the idle upto 1300 - 1500, juice the throttle, and it stays at 3500 - 3000.

Comment

May have this resolved. I let it rev upto 3000 and hang. Then I would use the idle screw to bring it down, it would rev without hanging. then I would turn the the screw to increase the idle a few hundred, then it would hang again, but only at a lower rpm. I just repeated this until the idle was set right, and didn't hang. Just incase anyone needs to know, no matter late it is.

Comment

Working...
                          X