brake caliper question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waltari
    Originally posted by kwebbel
    At first I want to say I would not recommend the Gixxer-swap being 7 solid cm's shorter...
    If you like to rail, groundclearance will become a dangerous issue (apart from less stability while riding straight on)
    If you would like to do it anyway you should be ready to swap a "92 gixxer frontend, which includes
    the triple tree, yoke, clipons, fender, rotors, rim, calipers and mc, the handlebars and controls will work, consider the rest as a loss... (try to sell it on ebay)
    So how are you liking your new front end Kwebbel?
    Like it a lot Waltari, it's 17mm shorter than the original frontend.
    Together with the 6 cm elevation in the rear it provides a very nimble handling, however I'm sure I'll need a steeringdamper.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
      so my best bet would be what:
      Post 98 forks sent out to race-tech
      or
      the pre 98 forks sent to race tech
      will the post 98 swap make a valid difference?
      or is sending the pre 98 forks to race tech just as good?
      If you're ok with the "dated" knobs on the pre-98 legs sent them out to race-tech, just the swap with a post-98 will probably enhance your frontend a little bit depending on the wear of your current springs compared to the newer probably less worn springs of the post-98 frontend.. nothing more nothing less.
      So keep your current frontend and use your money to have it overhauled, updated by Race-Tech. or save a little more and look out for a nice matching USD.

Comment

floxera--on the link you stated the pre 98 was 1990-1997...I have an 89 Kat...would the whole mechanism be different on mine?
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

At first I want to say I would not recommend the Gixxer-swap being 7 solid cm's shorter...
          If you like to rail, groundclearance will become a dangerous issue (apart from less stability while riding straight on)
          If you would like to do it anyway you should be ready to swap a "92 gixxer frontend, which includes
          the triple tree, yoke, clipons, fender, rotors, rim, calipers and mc, the handlebars and controls will work, consider the rest as a loss... (try to sell it on ebay)
          Together with the 6 cm elevation in the rear it provides a very nimble handling, however I'm sure I'll need a steeringdamper.
          I found the same with my setup...more responsive turn in but I agree, a steering damper is a necesssary item with this mod. I have the brackets for mine, just trying to decide on a damper.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
            floxera--on the link you stated the pre 98 was 1990-1997...I have an 89 Kat...would the whole mechanism be different on mine?
            I'm not sure Jax. I don't have any experience with 88-89 Kats. I'm just not sure what parts are swappable. Try checking out the parts fiches on bikebandit.com look to see if the part numbers are the same.
            '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

the parts are the smae from 89-97. Your 89 will be swapable with any year up to 97

Comment

I think it's only the 88's that were unique

Comment

Yeah, the 88 fronts are different from the 89-97. The rear rotor works fine however, only looks a bit different...
                  - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I found the same with my setup...more responsive turn in but I agree, a steering damper is a necesssary item with this mod. I have the brackets for mine, just trying to decide on a damper.
                    I would recommend the scotts rotary damper, looks good, high speed and low speed adjustable valves, and best positioned (won't brake as easily as a convential steeringdamper)
                    Saw it somewhere on the net on sale complete kit for about 400$US (including brackets so you should be able to get it cheaper)

/edit
                    looked it up

Comment

Working...
                    X