• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very weird idle prob. i couldnt find an answer

ok ive only had my bike about a month or so
    when i first got it it ran fine
    clutch cable was alil hard but i oiled it up
    anyways.... just a few days ago it started die on me at stoplights
    i checked manual and adjusted the idle to stock specs as it was low at like 700.
    so for a day or 2 it ran fine again but then it started acting weird
    also before all this i got the oil changed and its over the fill line a lil bit
    now what it does is when i start it i use the choke then move it off
    its normal then after like 2 minutes it starts to idle higher like at 2500 and if i leave it alone it will drop and almost die .... and if i still leave it alone it will rise again.... and sometimes it will die.
    this also happenes at lights.
    i also was messing with the idle screw some more but i thought i put it back to normal... could it be i have idle too high or too low?
    or the oil level?
    or what about my spark plugs? i havnt changed em yet

Sounds like dirty carbs, you're fighting the dirt by adjusting the choke/idle.. You could take the quick route by running seafoam or techron in the tank or removing just the air box and spraying all the parts you can get to with carb cleaner.

Comment

which is easier?
      if seafoam where can i get it?

Comment

I don't know for sure. I think it's something you buy at the auto parts store. Its a cleaner you mix with your gas. Spraying cleaner in the carbs is more aggressive.
        More likely to get out real gunk. I guess you could compare it to running a pot through the dish washer (sea foam) or cleaning the pot with SOS and a scrub brush..(carb cleaner.)

Comment

seafoam should be available at advanced auto, autozone, sometimes walmart. comes in a white can with red lettering.

Comment

did the carb cleaner in the carbs
            seemed like it worked
            took a test drive no problem
            but when i got home the idle started to raise again.

Comment

what oil is in it?

Comment

the suzuki 10w 40
                from the honda dealer service shop
                btw the carb cleaner barly helped
                but it still idle surges just a lil slower

Comment

Well , if it helped at ALL , that should tell you something ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yea i was thinking about that.... maybe a couple more carb cleaner treatments?
                    can it damage it in any way?
                    what if i put too much?

Comment

Try the Seafoam . I know your not supposed to but I ran it concentrated in my bike 1/3 bottle to tank of gas. Helped more than I thought it would

Comment

ok well i guess it didnt help bike dies on me still at stop light
                        no problems driving no studder only when at idle
                        also i checked my spark plugs and number 4 was black and smelled of gas(new cables time?)
                        the other 3 where grey and seemed ok

Comment

Ok , so there's a problem either at the number 4 cable , or in the number 4 carb .....
                          I'd START with a new plug . Put a few miles on the bike (ok , more than a "few" / Like half a tank at least) , then check plug again . Still black ? Time to dig a little deeper .... I'd begine THEN with checking the choke plunger of number 4 , since that's the easiest thing to do ...
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Ok , so there's a problem either at the number 4 cable , or in the number 4 carb .....
                            Really ? 'Cause MINE'S only got one cable to the carb , as is every other one I saw ..... Unless you mean spark plug wire . How about "high tension line" ?

You could make sure the plug boots are on tight, after a while the wire can get loose in there. Trim a bit off the end and screw them back on.

Comment

Check to see if the slide is sticking on #4 carb. Clean the carb and check the needle and seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X