X

my kat is sick?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my kat is sick?

Hey guys wazzzzup...i was looking around for help for my 1990 katana 600 and found this forum...alot of interesting stuff i read so far...i read the post about the carb problems...i got mine out today and its running like a 125 four stroke...i know the plugs are fouled but i just put them in 3 weeks ago...so im guessing im fouling plugs...im gonna have the carbs rebuilt and put a k-n filter on it and once again new plugs...whats weird though is when i first fire it up and take off...it runs awesome for about a mile or so then the sound of the bike changes along with the way it runs...just looses power...any ideas guys...

thanks in advance
    and be safe

katrips

More likely running lean than gas fouling the plugs.
    However;
    Are you running with the choke still on?
    IMO you should never ride with it on and only run the engine about 30 secs with it on.

If the choke is on while riding the engine will run like crap and foul the plugs.. You could also have something crapping out (like a coil) once the engine heats up.. (So the engine warms up the coil stops working and you are only running on 2 cylinders)
    Also you could be starving the engine. Not enough gas getting into the carbs to keep it running. Running a mile on bad flowing gas before noticing it sound likely..

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions...no im not running with the choke on...but it could be the coil...never thought of that...im gonna have it looked at next monday...ill let ya know,,,thank you for the help...This is a great sight for kat owners and ill be on here alot...thanks

Comment

One way to find out if your coil is choking with heat so to measure the resistance (high side and low) while heating it with a hair dryer...

Comment

great idea...many thanks buddy...ill let ya know...ty

Comment

Not to cheese up but Black knows his stuff bro. Good luck fixing that nice Kat!
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

ty soldier...this is a very helpfull website...i posted my problem and black had some help for me right away...appreciate all the help and look forward to chatting with you guys n gals...be safe all

rips

Comment

Ride safe too bro.
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

My guess is that you are going to find an issue with the gas flow through the petcock (fuel valve). What position is it in when you ride?

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                  who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I wouldn't put a K&N filter on the bike unless you are planning to jet it.

I had a K&N on the bandit with the stock jetting and it ran crappy when it was cold.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
                      Not to cheese up but Black knows his stuff bro. Good luck fixing that nice Kat!
                      I like that color scheme too..
                      Loud but proud!

Comment

its over at the suzuki shop now getting ...k-n...rejetted...Wanna thank all you guys for quick responses and help...Awesome bunch of peeps here and enjoy talking bike talk with you guys...be safe

rips
                        [/i]

Comment

Working...
                        X