X

Sprocket Questions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket Questions?

I have a 2001 Kat and was thinking about getting a new rear sprocket. I was wondering if I can just replace the rear sprocket and keep the stock front sprocket or if the need to be replaced as a pair. If not, what is a good number of teeth to go with on the back? I searched and found Katana sprocket ratios but still am unsure. I just want a little more off the line acceleration and not hurt the top end speed to much. Is a 50 tooth sprocket good? Thanks for the help guys.

You can change the rear only. But look at the front to make sure it doesn't need to be changed.

Hurt the top end speed? You spend a lot of time at 130MPH do you??

Comment

I would think you need to do everything at once, as in both sprockets and a new chain because if you just change sprockets and keep an old chain, the sprockets will wear quicker, and if you get a chain and just a rear sprocket then the chain will wear faster than it should.

The front sprocket is only like 15 bucks anyways, so why not just do it now?

black_peter is right, mow many times do you plan on topping out your bike as opposed to how many times you stop at a stop light and want to get a quick jump off the line?

I have a brand new vortex 51 tooth sprocket if you're interested, pm me.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Yea your right guys, I def. don't spend much time past the speed limit ha ha. But I guess what I was trying to say is I dont want to affect the RPM range very much. I dont want my bike to have a dramatic RPM increase in the range that I ride. I am not sure how much of a diff. changing to a 50 or 51 tooth sprocket will have, because I have never done it before. Hope that makes a little sense. PM sent...

Comment

Hey man i ordered a front and rear sprocket @ one time, plus a new chain. Overall it costed me like less than 160. I bought a 50 rear and kept the stock 15 front. Just remember you have to extend your chain by 2 links every tooth you go up!!!!!

My Dad is a RockStar
          Ask KatanaJim!!
          ----------------------

----------------------
          OS3 Pitrelli
          U.S. Coast Guard
          "Support our Troops"

Comment

Thanks for the info NewKatRida. I have an RK chain and am going with a 51/14 sprocket. If I go down one in the front, do I subtract 2?

Comment

Working...
            X