X

1st valve adjustment ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st valve adjustment ?

I'm doing my first valve adjustment on my 06 750 Kat. It has 850 miles on it. I checking the valves if anything they are to tight does this sound right. Could the valve seating in make make them to tight were I might have to loosen them? How much drag do you want on fealer gauge if I can force it inbetween is this ok or should it slide in freley? Thanks
    Spec. Intake .005 Exhaust .008 this is corecet right?

Yes, in fact at the first valve adjustment that's exactly what you are looking for... "tightness."

I usually gap mine to the middle of the range. The gap is good if you can't get the next size feeler gauge in.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
      The gap is good if you can't get the next size feeler gauge in.
      Exactly.. My technique;
      If the range is say 5 to 8.. I want 6 or 7 to slide in but not 8.

Comment

I just did my first valve adjustment about a month ago, the first one was done by the dealer, but I'm about at the interval for the second check.

I was pretty nervous about doing it myself, but it turned out not to be hard at all, the hardest part was actually GETTING to the valves.

One thing to be careful with are the head cover bolts, the torque spec is 10 lb/ft for all of them, be careful with the 4 banjo bolts that are right next to the openings for the spark plugs, I had my torque wrench set to 10 lb/ft and the bolt just broke in half before my wrench clicked. It sucked because I had to order a new one and wait a week before being able to run the bike.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Working...
        X