X

fuct up clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuct up clutch

i started my kat up and when i would put it in gear it would just die, but it did run fine. so i tried adjusting the clutch and then it started making a bad noise so i took off the clutch cover and a bolt ,washer, and clutch spring were missing. i found the washer and the spring which was caught between a gear but i still have to find the bolt. u think if i get a long skinny magnet i could get the bolt out of the oil pan? i think thats where it is. also is $61 for a barnett clutch a good deal?
    thats the only one i found on ebay.

That sucks. A strong magnet pen will work. Trust me on that. I dropped a bolt from the oil pan in a oil drain pan by clumsiness and that magnet saved me some serious headache! It attached to it like a leach. As for the clutch, if it is cheaper than what the big stores sell it for, get it!
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Same thing happened to my 98 750 Kat... Spring got wedged,wouldn't downshift,and,tore up parts on the way out. bolt,and washer are no show. Oil pan is next to come of to check. Could the bolt be anywhere else ? Please let me know. maybe the PO left that one out when puting the new clutch in... but ,if so,would it have lasted 5 months w/o it... or,would I have found out before now ? New to clutch problems...
      "98" 750f

Comment

Fish around with a magnet inside the oil pan. If you can't find it I'd pull the oil pan just to be sure. Large chunks of metal floating around inside an engine are seldom a good thing.

Probably happened because the PO replaced the clutch disks and didn't put threadlock on the bolts.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I too had a similar issue just happen but I was doin 70+ mph when I heard/felt it thrashing around. At least it sounds like you caught it pretty quick. I just bought a new motor with less miles an a new exhaust so the swap starts tomorrow. Good luck tho, I think the pen magnet should work wonders as long as you can get it where you need it an be patient enough when it starts sticking to everything lol
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Comment

Err? I would asume you're suggesting tie wire??

Pretty bike and all, but I find that exhaust pipe to be in a very uncomfortable location. lol
              Last edited by XXWoodmanXX; 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              1991 Kat 600 Fightered
              2001 SV650 Naked
              2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... The missing bolt ,or ,all the pieces thereof,sould be in the oil pan, Right? My mech seems to think it could be anywhere in the motor. Can that even happen? I can see maybe some small shavings, or like that, but not large pieces...let alone an entire bolt. I am pretty sure there are screens and an oil filter to prevent stuff like that. I feel I did catch it quickly ,and shifting appeared to be the only issue,when the spring got jammed. It did tear up the primary,hub sleeve, pressure disc, etc. on the way out. What do you guys think ?
                "98" 750f

Comment

Working...
                X