No announcement yet.
X

Home made front stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, I am going to tell the wifee that I am going to build her a custom clothes rack for the basement. Then I will say, wow, I can use this for the bike too, cool
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Hey steves, I have a jack like that and I know what you mean about the pre's. The exhaust is already off, I'm in the process of swapping oil pans. I have other stuff to do, so can I jack it up if I take the oil pan of then lift it?

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
        Nice, I am going to tell the wifee that I am going to build her a custom clothes rack for the basement. Then I will say, wow, I can use this for the bike too, cool

Originally posted by arsenic13
        Hey steves, I have a jack like that and I know what you mean about the pre's. The exhaust is already off, I'm in the process of swapping oil pans. I have other stuff to do, so can I jack it up if I take the oil pan of then lift it?
        I dunno. On my bandit, there's an exhaust hanger at the back of the frame. You'll probably be okay with the pan off... but I'm not really sure.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Here's mine in action lifting the rear of the kat a long time ago. Since then it worked great when I rebuilt the forks on my TLR. I've used it MANY times for all sorts of things, such as hanging the vacuum guages from it when balancing carbs or throttle bodies.

'01 TL1000R

Comment

I always just hung my Katana from the ceiling. There are actually loops welded to the frame rails to run the straps through. The bike balances perfectly when hung at the location of the loops.

I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

The motorcycle jacks wont work for katana at least I couldn't get mine to work. I had a craftsman jack

but The jack requires a flat surface on the bottom and with the katana exhaust pipe in the way it was not stable plus I don't think you would want to lift the bike by the exhuast any way. But I wouldn't build on of those hanging things either just slide the jacks stands under the front part of the bikes frame while on the center stand you have yourself a front stand thats as stable as the center stand is alone. take the first picture with the bandit if he was to take the jack stand off the forks and slide them under the blue frame in front of the center stand he would no longer need the bike to be strapped up.

Comment

Originally posted by koolcutta
                The motorcycle jacks wont work for katana at least I couldn't get mine to work. I had a craftsman jack

but The jack requires a flat surface on the bottom and with the katana exhaust pipe in the way it was not stable plus I don't think you would want to lift the bike by the exhuast any way. But I wouldn't build on of those hanging things either just slide the jacks stands under the front part of the bikes frame while on the center stand you have yourself a front stand thats as stable as the center stand is alone. take the first picture with the bandit if he was to take the jack stand off the forks and slide them under the blue frame in front of the center stand he would no longer need the bike to be strapped up.

I wouldn't put jack stands directly on my frame, it's painted. The stands were only there for "insurance" purposes in case a strap failed.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Mine looks exactly like yours Steves

Comment

Originally posted by IForgotMyUserName2
                    thats sweet. to bad i dont have the money to do that right now i could really use it. im gettin new tires soon and wanted to take my tires off so they are cheaper to have installed but dont know how to keep the bike off the ground? i wonder if i could save on getting tiresd installed on what it would cost to build this....
                    put it on the center stand take off the back tire and have some one give a hand holinf it while you remove thr front then slide the axle back in a nd slid a jackstand under it

Comment

My exhaust is off and there are pads on the lifts arms the way i jack it up the pads hit the pan and the frame i think, I had it on there for a long time and the bike showed no damage to the pan when I took the jack out
                      HILLBILLY DELUXE!!.........SLICK PICK UP TRUCKS.....LIVIN IT UP IN A SMALL TOWN....yep thats me

Comment

yea I guess for a bandit you wouldn't to put the stands on the frame cuase you don't want to scratch the paint but for katana that's cover with farings no big deal. You probably could put a peice of cloth to prevent sratching but then you have to worry about sliding.

Comment

I too have one of the floor jacks that's been mentioned (this one's from Wal-mart). Got mine for my birthday but deemed it not worth all the exhaust system removal... at least on the R1 the header pipes go directly under the bike where the best place to lift the bike up would be.... Just bought a pitbull stand today and tried it on all the bikes, it works.... It should pay for itself after a few tire changes.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            A racing front stand may look cooler, but when you need to rebuild your forks, the race stand is useless.

The best stands are the ones that slip into the pivot point in the frame (close to where your feet rest in the rider's position) and lift the whole bike at the same time, but I rarely see them available for the home market, and they are expensive as all get-out.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

Great idea Marc

Made this one after reading this, took me an hour

Comment

doublepost

Comment

Dang that homemade swingarm pivot stand is flippin sweet! Here's the one I bought awhile back for my TLR. About $220 shipped from http://www.andersonstands.com/ It's highly adjustable and I'm sure it would work on a Kat.

'01 TL1000R

Comment

Working...
                                X