Katana 1100 Ignition Box

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 1100 Ignition Box

I own a 1993 Katana 1100.
    I bought it used earlier this year. The bike ran poorly from purchase.
    I have had some time to work on the bike and here is what I have discoverd.

The voltage level at the primary side of the coils is not the same at both coils.
    The voltage on 1 primary side looks to be about 10 volts .
    The voltage on the other coil seems to be about 2 volts.

My problem is the bike will not start. It use to run, but poorly. I replaced the gas, plugs ,oil, fuel petcock, and coils (there were two different coils on the bike). I started and ran but never ran correctly so I never got in a test ride.

I can't find written documentation but I'm sure the input voltage should be similar on both coils. I have replaced the coils and I am measuring the voltage input with the primary wires disconnected so the coils have no effect on the input voltage.

Can anyone give suggetions for what the voltage should be at the primary side of the coils?

Does anyone have a source for a replacement Ignition Box?

Any suggestions?

Katana 1100 Ignition Box

No takers on this problem?

I have some feedback through other threads but i need a source for a CDI box. These things are $400.

I still have only one person telling me what the input voltage should be but the feeling is that I need to be measuring the voltage with an Oscilloscope to get an accurate reading.

I don't have an oscilloscope.

Thanks
    James

Comment

are you checkign the voltage when cranking or at a stand still cuase at a stand still there only gonna be a few volts and when cranking it should be damn near 100 volts and yes it will shock the crap out of you personal exp. but a cdi box from a 750/600 should interchange with your 1100 thats about all i got right now its 8am jsut woke up if i think of anything esle ill post it

Comment

Can't see anything in the manual about input voltages, just resistances.

Signal coil resistance, 135-200 Ohms
        Ignition coil resistance, Primary 3-5 Ohms
        Secondary Plug cap-Plug cap 25-45K Ohms
        93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Katana 1100 Input Voltage Level

Originally posted by Sin
          are you checkign the voltage when cranking or at a stand still cuase at a stand still there only gonna be a few volts and when cranking it should be damn near 100 volts and yes it will shock the crap out of you personal exp. but a cdi box from a 750/600 should interchange with your 1100 thats about all i got right now its 8am jsut woke up if i think of anything esle ill post it
          I was checking the voltage at a stand still. I suspect something in the 12 volt range might be about correct. But I only have 10 volts on one of the coils. I was able to get a copy of a couple of pages of someones suzuki manual and it show there should be 140 volts at the primary side for input voltage.
          So me real questions is what cause the voltage levels to be different ( dramtically) between the two coils.

Comment

Re: Katana 1100 Input Voltage Level

Originally posted by JIMMYD
            Originally posted by Sin
            I was checking the voltage at a stand still. I suspect something in the 12 volt range might be about correct. But I only have 10 volts on one of the coils. I was able to get a copy of a couple of pages of someones suzuki manual and it show there should be 140 volts at the primary side for input voltage.
            So me real questions is what cause the voltage levels to be different ( dramtically) between the two coils.

that i have no idea why there such a diff in power at a stand still but i would imagne if the resstance is correct and its pumping 140 into them when cranking it should work

Comment

i am having the same problem with mine

so i pulled the coils and this is what i go 4ohm on the side that the wires (orange and black plug into ) and about .138 plug to plug it my first time doing this my ohm meter is set to 2k any help

Comment

Working...
              X