X

performance cams for my katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• performance cams for my katana?

i would like to find a set of ferformance cams for my 06 600. are there any available? if so, where? i would like some help please. ( ive scracthed the gsxr motor swap, and opted to upgrade the 600f engine.)
    "Come to me, all of you are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Mathew 11:28

They are out there. You just have to know what to look for. Instead of looking for Katana cams, you have to look for early GSXR cams. You will need to get into a book and see which years of GSXR motors have cams that look like yours. IE: lobe numbers, spacing, etc.

There are aftermarket cams for GSXR's or you can slightly upgrade your Kat by installing GSXR cams.

Choice is yours. Just so you know, aftermarket cams are going to be pricey.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

According to the ron ayers microfich I was just looking at it appears as thou you could swap in a early year gsxr intake cam but you would need to take some measurements of the cam you have. As for upgrading to a drop in cam that is streetable most use the .355 intake /.334 exhaust lift cam combo. These are stock oil cooled gsxr cams (theres several years that are the same between gsxr and katana 1100, cross referance a 89 gsxr 750 cam set on ron ayers). I can tell you a pre 98 katana 750 intake cam is a gsxr exhaust cam. You would only need to by a 89 gsxr 750 intake cam from ron ayers for like $145. If your intake cam is the same profile as mine you could just swap that over to your exhaust. I would not go bigger than that. If you have your cams out and a vernier caliper I could help you with the calculations. Long before you do that however you need to buy a top rated full exhaust, jet kit and k&n. With out those you will see little gain from cams. To be honest your going to make much more power swapping in a kat 750 motor than upgrading the 600.

Comment

i havent even started taking it apart yet. i trying to figure out exactly what i need and get it before hand. icant go week without riding! maybe i can get these measurments from the dealer or something.
        "Come to me, all of you are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Mathew 11:28

Comment

court didnt you do this swap before?

Comment

I swapped in 90-92 GSXR 750 cams into my pre-98 600 motor. The same cams will not work with the 98+ motors though. That is why I said he needed to research which years of GSXR's had the right cams for his motor. Pre-98 Kats had 8 lobes per cam while the 98+'s only have 4 lobes per cam. Someone like Sin could tell you the years to look for off the top of his head, but I don't know which years for sure.

After my swap I noticed a huge gain in the higher rpm's. It pulls much harder above 7-8 now. I already have the yoshi full system, but still running the factory air filter.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Working...
            X