X

polishing engine covers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polishing engine covers

hi i want to polish my engine covers - i figure i can remove all the paint with nitro-morse but what do i polish it with to get that mirror clean look

i dont want them chroming or anything i just wanna polish them up so i got something to do!

cheers guys n gals
    i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

I imagine you polish them like any other part . Start with sandpaper , I THINK it was some rough stuff like 400 grit , then get finer . I'd have a little search though and see if someone has some better info .I'm sure they HAVE .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yup sin assures me corn starch will do the job

in the sin we trust

Comment

CORN STARCH? WTF!?!
        << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
        KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

yup....... ask sin dunno myself but if sin says it will work ...... chances are it will!!!

Comment

Maybe cornstarch would work as a final polishing agent. Afterall waltnut shells are commom media for tumbling. MD hit the nail on the head you need to start with something coarser to get the paint off them work your way to finer media. I like water based polishing compounds. Remember to seal everything with a good clearcoat so the cover stays bright.

Comment

yeah im gonna use nitro-morse to get the paint off!

i used it on the tank from my tzr and it took it all off down to the metal real easy to use....... not for plastics though
              mate of mine used it on fairings and it melted them to a pile of ...well melted plastic!!

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                Maybe cornstarch would work as a final polishing agent. Afterall waltnut shells are commom media for tumbling. MD hit the nail on the head you need to start with something coarser to get the paint off them work your way to finer media. I like water based polishing compounds. Remember to seal everything with a good clearcoat so the cover stays bright.

yeah cornstarch as a final step there something in it that helps keep alum from oxidizing why but it works

Comment

I started to polish mine too, but I'm going to clear them with the same clear that you would use on a polished automotive wheel.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Wow, cornstarch? Strange.

I use paint stripper, then start with something like 600-800 grit sanding, to 1000 grit wetsanding, then something like 1500-2000 grit (like sanding with a paper towel), and finally a high speed polishing wheel on a die grinder covered with Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. Apparently you should then use corn starch, because in my experience, Sin knows his s**t.

If your covers are brand new, and flawless, then you could probably just go from paint stripping to polishing. I've never polished anything that was without light scratches, though.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

so this corn starch thing;obviously you have to mix it with some water , right? should it look like a paste, a liquid, or what? and should you apply it at high speeds, or by hand?
                      << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                      KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

sin??

Comment

I use polishing rouge as a final once over, makes aluminum look like chrome when done. Corn starch is new on me, but I would imagine it does the same thing as the rouge.
                          2000 Katana 600
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
                          X