X

Ignition tie-in for "accessory"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition tie-in for "accessory"

Hello. Quick question. I have downloaded the entire manual- and have started reviewing it, but I sortof want to get my new old bike rolling before, say, 2007.

1992 Kat600

So I have a rocker switch. It's currently tied right up to the battery post. Great idea! When some schmuck walks by and sees the switch, which will invariably happen, they will probably hit it. Ok so that is fine except that it controls an airbag suspension which would probably cause the bike to tip over if it is parked using the kickstand.

So I need some manner of relay, and some place to tie into the ignition. I'll be reading the manual but I hope to gain some insight if anyone has experience with th is.

airbag suspension on a bike? sorry never had to work on anything like that
    Live and Lean.
    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    Romans 3:23

Comment

well this question is with regards to a general accessory tie in. I don't know what people put on their bikes- certainly few things as abnormal as airbag suspension, but i'm looking just for a good ignition tie-in.

Comment

here try this sorry my mspaint skills suck but it should let you make it only work when the key is on
        Attached Files

Comment

Only thing I can tell you is that your ignition wires end up running into a coupler under your gas tank. Sorry I'm not much more help.

Comment

sin- thanks that's awesome. are you sure that's going to work with a rocker switch? It has 3 positions.

Should i just run the relay from the ignition lead and run the power through the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by stabmaster5150
              sin- thanks that's awesome. are you sure that's going to work with a rocker switch? It has 3 positions.

Should i just run the relay from the ignition lead and run the power through the switch?

3 pole switch 1 way up 1 way down and the center is neutral ????????? if so the relay i drew up there wont work

Comment

Originally posted by Sin

3 pole switch 1 way up 1 way down and the center is neutral ????????? if so the relay i drew up there wont work
                yes that is correct. 1 up 1 down and a center position. I think that the relay should have PWR, ACC, GROUND inputs and the + to the switch. Then the 2 poles (i guess) that run to the switch from the compressor are left in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin

yes that is correct. 1 up 1 down and a center position. I think that the relay should have PWR, ACC, GROUND inputs and the + to the switch. Then the 2 poles (i guess) that run to the switch from the compressor are left in place.

ok ill draw up another one with the correct wires

Comment

thanks sin. is this for a "Bosch" automotive relay or do people use other things these days? and what kind of shop carries these things? thanks for your help sin! you're awesome.

Comment

You can buy a keyed switch, but that means having two keys. Or put the switch in a less visible spot.

Comment

You can buy a keyed switch, but that means having two keys. Or put the switch in a less visible spot.
                        thats what i did for all my neons, just hid the switch. mine is pretty much encased in the rear right tail fairing, right behing the passenger foot peg. easy to reach, impossible to see. then again for about 30-40 bucks you can go to pepboys or even autozone and get a remote system
                        Fo Sho.

Comment

ok here you go and you guys never want to wire somethign hot all the time alway make it switched power on all the time will drain your battery of cause a fire
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again Sin!

I got a relay at the shop. The one you pictured reminds me of the standard Bosch automotive relay. I am in nowheresville, nowhere- so i picked up a Peterson relay from the crotch rocket shop.

Only 4 terminals

30/51 - (H) Load (horn, lights, etc.)
                            85 - (M) Ground (-)
                            86 - (S) Switch
                            87 - Battery (+)

Now deductive logic dictates that if these two relays are interchangeable, then the terminals on my peterson relay are self explanatory.

The question is if they are indeed interchangeable as per your schematic. I can't think of anything else, but i have really very little experience with relays.

Thanks again for all of your assistance! I got a good rocker switch this time. Yesterday i tried wiring up a tiny little switch from radio shack and it broke on me. I got a german made cold forged steel switch this time.

Comment

Working...
                            X