No announcement yet.
X

fork question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The basic rule is to use the fork farthest away from the plate for the first dish served, and then the next, and so on... oh, sorry. Different kind of fork question...
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

did you use metallic silver wheel coating on your forks? I only ask because that's what I used, and your forks look just like mine......

you can sorta see them here....... right after the bike was assembled.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Actually I used 1200 degree aluminum engine paint that I already had here at the house. They were really shiny when I first painted them, but then I clearcoated them with the clearcoat made for wheels. It turned the shiny aluminum a really pretty silver color.

Comment

.......also, don't bother installing your brake calipers BEFORE you install your front fender and its bracket plate & hardware...........because what you will find is that to install that fender you have to remove the rim & tire & therefor the calipers AGAIN!

ALSO: You will want to remove the axle and snug up the fender plate, then install the axle & scuh and THEN tighten everything up. In this manner, you will correctly line up thet forks and axle & such........and I usually loosen up the clamps on the forks too at this stage. See.......without that little very important plate your forks may be out of alignment a bit and you'll have to torque them at the axle to get everything alinged, thereby binding it...........

Hope that makes sense...........

8)
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Yeah I hear ya. Everything that was on there was finger tight as it was. I took everything back off and slipped the fender in there and put the plate on. One question, should it be hard or easy to get the axle through. The first time I put the wheel on it was fairly easy. This time around I pretty much had to tap it fairly strong to get it to go through.

Comment

Depends . I usually end up tapping the axle with a mallet . If everything's lined up just so , it'll slide through easily . I usually have a hard time holding everything "just so" as I only have 2 hands and 2 feet ( I hold the wheel with my feet ) , so I use a mallet .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I hear ya. I got everything almost just so and it went in pretty easy. Now its on to the rear of the bike.

Comment

I'll USUALLY use my feet to hold the tire up and where I want it , then smack the axle through with my palm . Always seems to work well with the front , and alot of the time with the back . It's just sometimes it's much easier to get it started that way , then finish with the rubber mallet .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X