X

Trouble starting my Kat! Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble starting my Kat! Help!

I am new to this forum. A friend has posted for me several times but I guess it is time I posted instead of him. I have a '01 750. It is giving me a lot of trouble starting. When I first start it I will pull the choke down some but not all the way and it will act like it is going to start but then it will die. After that it acts like it is flooded and will not start for me. I have let it sit about 30 minutes and have tried it again with the choke off and then the choke completely down, with the trottle wide open and it will not start (still acts like it is flooded). This has happened before and a friend came and tried to start it and he got it to start by barely pulling the choke down and open throttle. He seems to think I keep flooding it. It use to not do this to me. It has new spark plugs (changed last week). Once it is running I do not have a problem starting it. It has done this several times on me within the last 2 weeks. Please help!!! I want to go riding!

Not sure it will help, but here is something to try.

Put the fuel petcock in the PRIME position wait about 20 seconds, then pull the choke all the way and try to start it. Do not touch the throttle. You should not need any twist of the throttle to get it started.

Just don't forget to put the petcock back to the ON position before you take off.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Yup , choke full-on , then turn it down slowly once it starts , keeping the rpms at about 2k or so . If there's nothing wrong with it , it oughtta fire right up in like 4 cranks or less . Choke off after 30secs or so , and use the throttle to keep it running if need be after that .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'm curious as to whether or not there might be something wrong with the choke or whether or not it isn't getting enough gas.

Comment

I just noticed you said you tried to start it with full choke on and full throttle (unless I mis-reading your interpretation). That's a no-no.

Try this in this order:

1) NO CHOKE, 1/8 to 1/4 turn throttle, hit the start button for 1 to 2 seconds max. Wait a minute and then repeat. If no start....

2) Full choke, NO THROTTLE. If she catches, move the choke to maintain around 2,000 RPMs for 30 seconds (that's Suzuki's target and I agree). If no start....

3) Wait 1 day, repeat 1, but not 2. If no start....

4) Change spark plugs (they could be fouled). Repeat step 1 and 2.

Comment

I have to disagree with step 1. Step 2 is the proper way to start your bike. If it doesn't catch the first time, try it again like md86 said. But NO THROTTLE for start up. That is the easiest way to flood your bike.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
              I have to disagree with step 1. Step 2 is the proper way to start your bike. If it doesn't catch the first time, try it again like md86 said. But NO THROTTLE for start up. That is the easiest way to flood your bike.
              Step 1 would be an acceptable way of starting a bike if it has a limited amount of fuel in the engine/carbs. I am assuming the bike would have sat for a period of at least 12 hours.

Step 2 is not the proper way to start a bike. Step 2 is proper if the outside temperatures and lack of recent use of the bike would call for a full choke start. In this case, if step 1 didn't work, then there is a chance that the system is fuel starved.

Comment

Maybe that'll work in Fl , but everywhere ELSE we seem to have to use at least SOME choke for a "cold start" . On a warm day , maybe we could get away with no choke . But it has to be fairly wram out .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I was told by a Goldwing rider to do the open throttle..... Any way here is my update. I went home and put the choke all the way down, No throttle and she started right up. Did this 3 additional times last night with no problem and again this morning. Thank you all for the post and helping me out. Yeah! Hopefully she will continue to like me and start and I will get to ride this weekend.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Maybe that'll work in Fl , but everywhere ELSE we seem to have to use at least SOME choke for a "cold start" . On a warm day , maybe we could get away with no choke . But it has to be fairly wram out .
                    I was beginning to doubt myself on starting my bike that way for the last 13 years.... I always go with FULL choke and once started, back it off to the desired rpms usually long enough to get my gloves on.

That is for the first start of the day though... or when it's been sitting at work all day.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

I have never had a bike outside of Fl, so I am not sure what choke setting is required for what temperature(s). I do know that I do not need to use any choke during the summer months (for a bike that sat overnight). In spring, fall and winter, I will use step #2 to start for my bike after sitting overnight.

However, if the bike has ran for at least 5-10 minutes, then I could easily go 8-12 hours without any choke (I just crack the throttle and voila'). Different strokes for different folks......

Comment

I agree with Court93kat that is how I have always started my bike in the summer or winter it does'nt matter and my kat is an 06. Suzuki is still doing all the services at the proper intervals and acording to them it's just a "kat thing" same with the bandit's there just cold blooded.
                        Every dog has his day,
                        And some lucky F**kers
                        Even have two!

Comment

Now I have the same problem, but its my battery. The batteries only have a 6 month guarantee. When the Kat sits out all night and the nights get cool (just above freezing) the Kat will turn over but will not start. I have been boosting it off of the car for the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                          X