Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Kat died, what the heck happened? (Fuel problem)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat died, what the heck happened? (Fuel problem)

Replaced my clutch cable last night. In order to route it, I just unbolted the tank and rotated it slightly out of the way. I did not disconnect it. Now here's where things are a little fuzzy (it was late, dark, and I was doing this on my porch). I think I might have turned the petcock to prime, thinking there was on "OFF," which I now know is not the case. BTW, there are no markings on my fairing, PO repainted the plastic. Did I leave it on "Prime" all night? I have no idea, I can't remember if I actually did put it on "Prime." I rode it for about 5 minutes last night and it ran great!

Well, this morning, I'm getting ready to leave for work, and decided to oil the chain as it was a little dry. I go to ride around the block before heading to work, choke it as usual and it starts right up. It's acting normal for about 30 secs, but then it starts losing power. I get about 3/4 around the block and come to a stop with the choke off and it dies. Now the only way I can get it to start is with full choke. As soon as I give it some throttle it dies. If I back the choke off even slightly, it dies.

It's a 97 Kat and the petcock has 3 positions, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Right now it is currently set to 6 o'clock, which I believe is where it has always been. I realize there is probably a very simple solution here, be patient with me Peter & Sin. I hope I didn't flood it as I just changed the oil about 1,000 miles ago, don't want to have to spend another $50.
    "I'm not crazy because I take the right pills."

The problem is in teh carbs or fuel line.. Question 1.. When you started riding the ran fine and then it started to loose power... when you gave it more ga it died out completely.. Then is started up and ran and then did the same thing.. The carbs must either be gummed up or something is stoppign the clogging the fuel line.. Check your carbs.. Thats my first guess after having this same problem with a 92 Kat and 91 Ninja
    Some people grow big and tall and some stay the same... My 600 grew 527cc's by high school and stayed the same size. He use to get bullied by a few people:

Jigzer and Shrad were brothers
    Charlie Brown Rodjers also known as CBR
    Kall Asaki from Japan

I'm not a racer but at a stop light Jigzer pulled up and so did Shrad. They reved their engines....
    The light changes to green light so we ride...
    Then they read my license plate and it says
    " KATchup "

Comment

I would start by checking the vacuum line at the tank and on the carbs. It is possible that when you moved the tank it might have come off??

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

with Fred. If you didn't have a puddle of gas around the bike, you didn't flood it. Your floats worked the way they should. If that vacuum line comes off the petcock, the only position you will get fuel flow is in PRIME. You can test it first by placing it in PRIME and see if it runs. Give it time to fill the bowls first, they try it. If it runs with no problems, you know the deal. Lift up the rear of the tank and look for the small vacuum line running from the #4 carb (far right as on bike) to the back of the petcock which opens the valve with engine vacuum.

Let us know how it works out.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

yeah, look for pinch/missing lines
          flooded bikes don't hardly run at all
          Live and Lean.
          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
          Romans 3:23

Comment

Thanks guys, it was the vacuum line. It's always the little things. I guess what had me stumped was that it ran fine last night, that hose must've barely been hanging on and popped off this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by jsalda
              Thanks guys, it was the vacuum line. It's always the little things. I guess what had me stumped was that it ran fine last night, that hose must've barely been hanging on and popped off this morning.
              Gremlins!

Comment

More than likely the hose was not on there last night either. Depending on how long you ran the bike. It takes a little while to drain the bowls, plus if you had the petcock on PRIME it would have continued to flow and refill as needed even without that hose.

Glad it was something simple for ya.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

DAMMIT ! I KNEW the answer , but you guys beat me to it !
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hahahha that is funny... i recently just changed my old and spark plugs.. and had the same problem.. damn i was going to answer that one too... im with md86, they beat us to it....
                    1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
                    1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
                    1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
                    2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
                    2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

I'll try to come up with another easy one for you guys. Stay tuned, I'm sure something will come up.

Comment

Waiting ......
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Working...
                          X