X

steering not straight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering not straight

I went down the other down and the steering is not straight anymore, it seems to be turned too much to the right. How can I straighten it out?

You sure nothing's BENT ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I wondered when someone would post this!

I discovered this situation about 18 months ago while working on rebuilding an 03 Kat!

Seems that with the 03+ kats Suzuki has actually changed the front end around so much that its weakened the old stiffness that the Kat front ends have always had. Here's the issue:

The forks and then front wheel used to be held at several points, in order to keep them in a stiff alignment: Top tree, bottom tree, fender brace, and then the axle. See..... this is four points to hold the forks.

On the 03 and probably newer, the front fender brace is gone! The fender now mounts from the sides to the forks, eliminating the brace, which, IMHO is a crucial item to maintain front wheel/steering straightness!

EZ FIX:
      Stand over the front wheel, grab the bars one in each hand, and while clamping the front wheel firmly between your legs, twist the alignment problem out of the system!

I swear, that front wheel can EASILY be re-aligned in this manner! I've done it successfully at least 3 times on the 03 Kats!

See.......there is ONLY the front axle holding the lower forks in alignment..........and the overall total fork length is too great to be able to maintain a straight line, plus with the fact that the forks are actually two pieces and moving.............

Anyway, that's what happening and how to fix it!

8)
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I have the same problem, but my bike is turning left when i take the hand from the bars.
        I've recent changed the fork, and the weel looks straight to me.
        I will look over again couse this is a good idea

Comment

i bent my left handle bar a little and thought the alignment issue was due to the bent handle bar, but i just replaced it and it was still not straight. thx for the tip, i will try doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
            EZ FIX:
            Stand over the front wheel, grab the bars one in each hand, and while clamping the front wheel firmly between your legs, twist the alignment problem out of the system!

Like what we used to do to our bikes as kids??

Comment

yeah... Glad I have a fork brace!!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Wow , that sounds downright FLIMSY !
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

03 Frontend

I bought a wrecked 03 600 on ebay. Ran into the same problem. I put a complete 02 front end on it, ebay again $175.00, problem fixed. You'll also need the 02 wheel, axle and spacers, and the brake rotors. I used my 03 calipers with no problems. I would also recommend the spring spacer mod, mine rides on rails now, major difference. You'll also need the 98/ 02 triple tree. Hope this helps out and good luck. Steering stem bearings and races will interchange, I've got the 03 tapers on a 02 stem, I like em. Worked for me. Don't forget, you'll also need the fender and brace 98-02. There, I think I got it all. If you need any help let me know, been there and done that. Mistakes cost money. Special helped me out when I did mine.

Comment

Tips

One last thing. I filled the dimples on the 02 fender with bondo and painted it and the brace black. It looks like an 03 frontend but it's an 02. I like the rounded look of the 03 fender. You really have to look hard and be on your toes to see the difference. Only my hairdresser knows for sure. LOL

Comment

Wow! This is crazy! My brother is looking on a 06 Kat, and noticed it has a twisted triple tree. I searched really quick, found this tread, and he twisted it back into place!
                      Roops Photography|facebook|
                      03 GSXR 1000
                      04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                      Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Working...
                      X