X

Won't start..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start..

My kat won't start this morn. It goes ahead like it's trying and I end up wasting the bat trying to get her going. She just won't go. Where should I start the hunt?

01 Kat 750
    2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

Well........gas, plugs......I am assuming by your post that the starter is working. So your either not getting gas or spark. Pull a plug and smell for gas.....might be flooded.....while its out, check for spark.

Comment

Like he said You gotta have fool, you gotta have far, the tank got fool? den check yo far.
      Live and Lean.
      When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
      "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
      Romans 3:23

Comment

Try hooking it up to a car that is not running and jump it off. The battery may have enough juice to turn the starter, but not enough to spark off the fuel in the cylinders.

Worth a shot before you tear into anything.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Sounds she she turns over and over until the battery dies, eh? I vote with Court on this one............let's get more juicey lucy!!!!!!

After that, you've eliminated one thing............

Check your fuel level and check your fuel hoses and hook ups and the vacuum line to the petcock.

Try turning the petcock to PRI for a minute also, then crank her 8)
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. It's like this, I tried to ride it the other day in the morning to work and it was pretty cold. Probobly in the 40s and it woulden't turn over. The starter was going at it but it woulden't go. I thouhgt it was the cold. I try it yesterday and same thing.

The bike was running excelently before when i tried to start her up so I'm sure all the hoses are where they should be. I have a brand new full tank of gas in there right now.

I'm about to go try using a car to get her up hopefully. Can't hurt to try that first. Thanks for help so far. 8)

Comment

this might be dumb but are you using the choke?
              in cool weather mine will never start cold without full choke. otherwise see above.
              '93 naked kat 600 (wrecked and sold)
              '82 v45 magna 750 (sold)
              '80 xj650 maxim
              "evil" '96 saturn sl2
              '90 toyota pickup (killed by farm implement)
              '94 toyota pickup 265000 miles and counting

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33006 my bike as it was

Comment

Just tried hooking it up to my jeeps bat through the cables, still won't go.

Comment

So, are you using the choke????

Comment

I'd check it for spark. Takes about 5 min. It may sound funny, and to be honest, I've never heard of this happening before, but maybe, just maybe...

Could cold weather cause some sort of change in the plug gap? I'm obviously not a scientist or anything, but I was just trying to be a creative thinker.

Comment

Problem fixed. ........for now.

I replaced my battery. I may also have a regulator issue as well but we'll see won't we.

Comment

Check the volts on the battey with the bike running......bring the revs up to 5-6g and the volts should rise to 13.5-14v

If it does, your charging is working.

Comment

It SHOULD rise at just idle even . Kats charge at idle .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                          X