X

Timing chain question ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain question ...

Hi, i have a 16000 mi 2k2 750 Kat and my timing chain broke on highway yesterday. In the morning, my dealer did a good cleanup of my carb and adj. and also valve lash adj , so after getting my bike I went riding. What a short ride... i was in 4th and suddendly no more throttle response I stopped on the side thinking that somethig was wrong with the carbs or a fuel line . A towing after I was back to dealer , they were also suspecting the carbs but everything was ok. After removing the plugs they found that my engine lost all compression ??? The valves ...no everything was ok also no broken parts and valve lash still in specs.What a surprise the timing chain broke in two That's the reason of my post , there saying that's the first time they see that kind of failure on a Kat....And the valve adj is not in cause. All parts of the binder and the adjuster are ok regarding to them. Here in Montreal no suzuki dealer have this chain in hand and they all say that they never sold one for my kind of Kat. Hope that someone can give a help about my breakdown.

oh there soo full of shit cam chains break and they wear out its nothign new you can order a replacement one from k&l supply or parts unlimited that comes with a rivet type link and be on your way if it didnt bend all the valves but from the sounds of it you may have gotten luck

Comment

I would be VERY suspect of them............

As Sin stated, those wear out and sometimes break, but you JUST had them do a valve adjustment? I'd say they overdid something, or more than likely dropped something down in the open slot where the chain runs, or forgot to adjust the tensioner, or OVER tensioned the biatch, or something.............

You need to speak to the service manager or dealership manager or owner. Keep going up the chain until you get satisfaction.

BTW......THEY can buy that chain - its a common stock item from Suzuki! It's called a CAM Shaft Drive CHAIN, and its in their catalog! Tell the IDIOTS that it (should be) part # 12760-26E00, or something like that. (BTW...Bike Bandit says its about a $78 part....)

MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT AND THE LABOR!
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Thanks for the infos .I don't own the shop manual, i was curius if when valve adj was made if the lash of the timing chain was recommend by suzuki to be check at every valve adj to be in the spec, to avoid that kind of early failure???And no nothing was drop inside the engine I was there when they separate the engine.

Comment

Hmmmm.........they must have gotten the adjuster wrong...................

Comment

Go to one of the drag bike sites like www.schnitzracing.com or www.fastbygast.com and get a heavy duty cam chain. May cost a bit more, but should protect you against cam chain stretch (and poor performance) down the line.

Comment

If your camchain isn't properly adjusted, what sort of noise do you get?

Is it an engine speed-related ticking noise, or more like a "chain thrash" kind of sound?
              "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

There's no "adjusting" of the the cam chain . The tensioner takes up the slack . If it's bad , it'll make some racket , and it'd need to be changed . If it's off a tooth or 2 , you timing will be off . Could run better or worse depend on HOW off , or it COULD bash your valves . But I recon you'r DEFINATELY hear that one ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  There's no "adjusting" of the the cam chain . The tensioner takes up the slack . If it's bad , it'll make some racket , and it'd need to be changed . If it's off a tooth or 2 , you timing will be off . Could run better or worse depend on HOW off , or it COULD bash your valves . But I recon you'r DEFINATELY hear that one ....

Yepper! Like HE said.................. 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X