X

valve adhustment time???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adhustment time???

Well i have been noticing a noise lately like a vibration, i have read a lot and nknow about the gas cap, keys, loose bolts and all of that so i am not starting from no where and i have also worked on cars some also. A few of my friends said it was the valves and i would agree, when i have the bike running you can hear a lil vibration/rubbing noise coming from the engine, my bike is a 97 with around 26,xxx miles and i have had it for 2 yrs, the carbs have recently been sinked so i am wondering if this noise is my valves neeeding adjustment or something else? is it hard to do or about how much at a shop should i expect? also could you inform me if my chain is a 112,116, or 118...stock sprockets. and go with the O or X set-up?

Doing the valves are not that hard. I am not sure if your year model has the shims or the adjustable rockers though. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will post up. More than likely that is what the noise is though.

I have no idea how much to expect to pay the dealer or any bike shop to do the valves for you, but you WILL save money if you take it in with NO FAIRINGS on it, as this will save man hours for the mechanic.

I think the chain is 118 links long. If that is too long, you can always bust a link or two off to make it the right length. Now, O or X ring.... that is a personal choice. O ring has been around a while and has proven itself as quite reliable. X ring is fairly new and offers some good stuff as far as keeping dirt out and lube in.

Hope this helps you out some.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Your valves are the shim type. WAY easy to do, just takes a feeler guage and a little math.

I am not for certain, but I think court is right about the chain being 118. I personally prefer X-ring because it seals a little better and has a little less drag than the O-ring, but if you don't do a lot of riding in wet weather, either should suit you just fine.

Comment

Working...
      X