X

Quick CDI Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick CDI Question

I have a 96 600, and I believe after much testing that the reason for no spark is the cdi. Everything else seems to check out ok. I even put the coils on my 02 Yamaha fz1 (1000) and they worked. Seems as the coils are identical on fz1's. I have just bought this bike and am trying to figure out why I have no fire. The signal generator pickup is also ok, as it has the correct ohm's (about 174) and it produces around a volt (bouncy) when it is cranked over. The wiring harness had been repaired in the past, so I ran new wires from positive and negative directly to the cdi and coils, connecting correctly accourding to the wiring diagram. I even am using a new plug. Still no fire.

Here is the question, I can get a complete 94 600 wiring harness, relays, cdi, and other tidbits for around 25 that came from a running, crashed machine. Will this work on my 96 as long as I go to non resistor type plugs?

I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work. I don't think anything is different between 94 and 96. 98 is the year a lot of changes happened. Cyber is the electic guru on here though. Maybe he will chime in with some help.

For that price, you can't go wrong though. Good Luck!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

It actually ended up costing me 41 on an ebay auction, so if it works or not, I own it.

The major difference that I have seen is that in 96 they went to a pin type connector in the cdi whereas in 94 they still had the spade type connections in the connector. Hence the need for the harness. I just hope there isn't some different timing curve or something.

Comment

Working...
      X