Adventures in Valve Adjustment Land

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Valve Adjustment Land

Hey Guys,

So me and DooD finally got around to getting some service done on my bike.

Things were going along all fine and dandy until we realized that there was no possible way to remove the valve cover because the throttle cables and clutch cable were running right across the top and were too tight. Now we couldn't seem to figure out how to get it out, I'm not sure if anyone has any tricks but DooD and I had to resort to taking off my "TURBO" (both of us had no idea what it was, but it was mounted to a bracked on the front of the frame), the airbox, and the carbs! None of this was mentioned in the '05 manual, so I'm wondering if things have changed in '06.

Once we got the cover off, we got the valve adjustment. Now I remember Cyber taking about the odds of valves being out, but the only ones that were in spec were the #3 and #4 intake. All the rest had to be adjusted. Has QC gone down at suzuki?

After we got everything back together we have throttle cable issues, but Dood got those figured out after about an hour and a half and that was still after we figured out the carb clamp screws were blocking the return pulley. Again, nothing in the manual about how the throttle cable bracket above the carbs works.

All in all, it was still fun learning how everything comes off my bike. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future. We're still not done. 3pm - 11pm yesterday and we still have to change the oil and check the chain today. DooD has pics and I'm sure he'll post pictures of my sexy "TURBO" (he later found out it returns unburned fuel to the carbs)

Meadow
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Always a fun time the first time you tear into your bike, isn't it? I almost have a zipper on mine I have been into it so much lately.

It gets easier each time you do it.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

the so called turbo is the pair valve setup on a cali model

Comment

Well, we got it all done and it sounds good and runs even better. Only problem is there's an oil leak somewhere. I've 90% ruled out the valve cover gasket, because from what I can tell it's not leaking anywhere. It appears to be coming towards the seat side middle, then running over the cooling fins.

*sigh* Guess I get more practice taking it apart. I wouldn't mind so much if the fairings weren't such a pain in the ass.

Comment

Yeah , you need some silicone of some sort on those little holes on the side . And don't forget the carb synch . It's a MUST after valves have been adjusted .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well I got her broke down again and the oil lines were secure w/ o-rings intact, but just below the left hand oil line there was a centimeter or .5 inch hole where the gasket got pinched in. I've vainly attempted to plug it with some silicon, I'm gonna let that dry tonight, then put another coat of it on top. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to break her complete down and reseat the cover. Thanks for everyone who gave input.

Comment

Wish it had been the o-ring for ya.

Glad you found where it was coming from though.

Might be best off to just open her up and get that gasket in there right. I know how big of a pain it is. I just had my valve cover off recently too.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Yah, this is hopefully a quick fix till I can get together with DooD again.

I have all the tools to take of the cover again, with the exception of a deep socket for the spark plugs. I shouldn't have to take the cover completely off either, just enough so I can raise the back end and reseat the gasket. Shouldn't take us too long to fix.

Comment

that socket is in your tool bag under your seat.it is a real pain in the ass.i dont mind removing the fairings(i have done it so much)i hate all the little stuff like cables carbs airbox.goodluck

Comment

Wooohooo, the silicone sealed it up good. My Kat is purring without drooling all over the place. Gonna go for a good ride tomorrow to see if it holds up.

Comment

For future reference, unless the98+'s are different, for that job you should only have to pull the gas tank and LOOSEN the side fairings. You should be able to get to everything to raise the valve cover without totally taking everything apart. At a minimum, you can leave the carbs, air box, cables, etc in place and hooked up.

If you are going to REMOVE the valve cover, then that wouldn't work, but just to reseat that gasket, you would be OK with leaving everything on there.

OH... and why would you need to pull the plugs? I have had my valve cover completely off with the plugs still in the cylinder to make sure dirt stayed out.

good job on the quick fix though.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Pulling the plugs just makes it easier to turn the engine over and get it right at TDC and such , I think . But yeah , the rest is pretty much right . I just drape my carbs over the side of the bike so I don't have to disconnect the lines . Alot easier to get the cover back on again without those things in the way . Get less RTV on things .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X