X

noisy engine idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy engine idle

hello all, i got a 97 750 kat that is kinda noisy on idle, i compared it to a friends 1100 and his is a lot quieter (no engine noise just exhaust), my pops is a mech for cars he says its the cam chain thats loose i believe him but i wanted "katriders" oppinions

it almost sound like that clattering sound diesel engines make (at higher rpms it smooths out) and slight wwwwwrrrrr sound of the cam chain

bike has 10k miles on it as far as i know no maintenance has been done beside the oil changes, ive had it for 2,500k miles

i hope its nothing major as i commute with it your advise is appriciated

sounds like it could use the valve adjusted and possible a cam chain tenstioner spring

Comment

Also a carb synch..
      My old CB750 used to sound like it was gonna throw a rod when the carbs went out..

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
        sounds like it could use the valve adjusted and possible a cam chain tenstioner spring
        which one theres something on top in between the cam and theres the one exposed near the rear

Comment

There is only the one chain adjust spring..
          On the front. If it is worn out then you replace it.

Comment

are u talking about the assembly that pushes on part #8 or the assembly with part #3, im thinking its the one pushing on part #8, correct me if im wrong

Comment

your right the one with the spring the spring gets weak over time and age

Comment

ok so buy the whole assembly $60.59 or just the spring $2.11

Comment

I think just the spring..
                  If the chain get to the end of the adjuster,
                  you need a new chain.

Comment

replaced the spring, it was 5/8" shorter than the new one, the rachet clicked only 4-5 times for the slack to take up......also replaced the valve cover gasket as it was baked and leaking, did a valve adjustment and that made a big diff in the acceleration.....

Comment

Engine noise

Try some Mobil MX4T or Castrol GPS motorcycle oil. I just put some Mobil in mine and it made a difference in the noise. Sounds alot better now.

Comment

Working...
                      X