X

First Carb Cleaning n pre 98 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Carb Cleaning n pre 98 600

Well, I took apart the carbs yeterday and cleaned them for the first time.
    I had never worked on carbs before, I used a good write up on it from this forum. My problem is, after putting them back on today and starting the bike up, white smoke started to come out of the exhaust. Let me back track a bit, while tacking apart carbs and cleaning , there was allot of rust builduo in there (most of it was a powdery brown substance).So after a good cleaning, i didnt know what to expect. To my suprise the bike sounded great and idiled great. The only problem was the white smoke. I only let it run for about 5 mins at low idle (1k). Could this mean that the carbs are still a little wet from cleaning? Or am i facing another cleaning and checking of the carbs. I had also cleaned the air filter last night, could this be the cause of water in system? Any feedback would glady be followed.

OK... it could be residual carb cleaner still in the carbs. I recently took apart my pre-98 carbs and cleaned them and when I first started it up I had white smoke. Mine went away after revving it a few times.

Did you ensure all the air/fuel mixtures went back where they were?

Did you synch the carbs?

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

You could be right, I did drench them again with carb cleaner before i put them on. Also , I sprayed allot of carb cleaner in the intake port before installation of carbs. The only problem is by the time I had them on and started, it was 10pm at night. My neighbors are quick to complain about noise. So i only let it run for 5 mins. Tommorow morning im going to start her back up again and start reving.

Comment

White smoke in my experiance can indicate a
        stuck float.. common after a rebuild..

Comment

Whats up Court, You were right. It was just allot of car cleaner that caused the smoke. The Kat is running GREAT now. Took it out for a 30 min ride today and this thing is quick. This is my first Kat and motorcycle. I like the why it handles too. Well just wanted to thank you for all your help. Oh by the way, i didnt mess with the mixture screws cause it ran great.

Comment

Good to know man. Congrats on the successful cleaning of your carbs. See, it's not so bad is it?

Good job and enjoy the ride..

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

oh sure, he gets to be the noob with the EASY carb job.

Just kidding, great to hear man! way to go.

Comment

Stop your whining and crying Hudson.... what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Besides, he still has his EPA caps covering the mixture screws. Pretty easy to mess with carbs that are still all stock.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Working...
                X