No announcement yet.
X

Need HELP!!! bike dies while driving!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need HELP!!! bike dies while driving!!!

Sorry guys, this may have been discussed already, I kind of hope so so that you can help me... I have a 1996 Katana 750. I just bought it recently. I changed the spark plugs, new air filter, chain, and changed oil and filter. Anyway, it is in perfect condition, and today I went for a ride out in the country and after about 10 miles, the tach went to 0 and the bike died. I was able to downshift and get it started again and just figured that I had hit the off switch. About 5 miles later, it happened again... So I turned around to come home and it happened three more times on the way home. This has never happened before. I was going about 65-70 every time and this may have nothing to do with it, but I was in 6th gear each time... I figure it is electrical, but don't even know where to start. Please help me!!!!!
    2006 50th ann. R1 (drive weekends only.....), 1996 750 Katana (daily driver), 2004 Dodge SRT-4 (garage queen only 3000 miles), and 2006 Black Dodge Ram SLT (rainy weather driver)

is the kisk stand button working, I had to oil mine last night (same problems)

Comment

Yeah that is a good one!!
      I posted in your other thread.
      I have to get off line but
      it could be as simple as the side stand..
      It is vibrating off the switch just enough to kill the engine..
      If you pull in the clutch the engine can't restart
      until you let it out.
      Check that switch and the side stand spring.

I asked in the other thread to give as much detail as possible.
      What exactly happened.
      What exactly you did.. etc..

Comment

I will check the kick stand. I am wondering if it is something in the wireing of the clutch lever. Why would it not crank again until after I downshifted? It should have staied running in 6th gear just the same as in 5th... It would not restart until I downshifted, but it was probably that it would not restart until after I pulled the clutch in and out..... any ideas???
        2006 50th ann. R1 (drive weekends only.....), 1996 750 Katana (daily driver), 2004 Dodge SRT-4 (garage queen only 3000 miles), and 2006 Black Dodge Ram SLT (rainy weather driver)

Comment

Actually lots of them!!

I just had my 95 750 give me fits this morning.
          *First it wouldn't turn over
          *It stopped running after starting it.
          *It died while riding (20 mph)

It is my ignition switch.
          When I died while riding I let out the clutch to
          bump it and nada.. I then noticed my
          Oil light and high beam light were out!
          I jiggled the key and it bump started..

I am guessing in your case:
          Something is killing the engine.(duh!!)
          Any change in speed, bumps, revs (revs = vibration)
          are causing it, another similar change is reversing it.

Look for:
          Loose / bad side stand switch.
          Loose/ frayed kill switch wires.
          Loose/ shorting ingnition wires

So.
          Start the bike.
          While idling in nutral wiggle/ tug on:
          Right handle bar control wires.
          Ignition switch wires.

Side stand up, clutch in, in gear (tricky I know, best put it on the center stand)
          wiggle the side stand and side stand switch cable.

If none of this finds anything it might be in a harness connection.
          On a bike as old as yours (mine too!) it will pay to
          go through every connection looking for corrosion/ oxidation on connectors. Get some electric grease
          (I use "bulb grease") and after cleaning the
          connection (with a tiny wire brush, pocket knife, sand paper)
          liberally apply to all the connections.
          It will take some time but "little"
          jobs like this take you on a tour of the bike.
          You will learn a lot as you travel from one end to another.
          You may even find dodgy repairs, melted wires all kinds of things that you can easily put right in the Garage but would really stink trying to fix miles from home..

Comment

thanks for the help. I checked out the sidestand and not sure yet if that is it, but a good possibility. When I use my finger and push the button all the way in, it will not come back out unless you pry it. Also, when the side stand is up, how far in should that button be pushed? It is only moving it about 1/4 inch.

Comment

I think you might have found it..
              Mine pushes the button in 90% of the way.

Comment

sounds good. I will try to come up with a way to push it in farther... I need a new kick stand anyway, this one will not let the bike lean far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by doof432
                  sounds good. I will try to come up with a way to push it in farther... I need a new kick stand anyway, this one will not let the bike lean far enough.
                  I hear you..
                  Is it bent from a crash??
                  Mine is..

on a related note:

Comment

no, it has never been down, but I have put some really low profile tires on it and it doesn't lean far enough now.

Comment

I had a problem similar to this. I moved the fuel shutoff valve to prime and the problem has not happened sine and that was probably 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X