X

Bent forks - what are my options?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent forks - what are my options?

OK, I bought my Katana with a rebuilt title. It had been layed down and rebuilt. Everything on it is up to par except for the front forks.

Not only are they bent, they would need to be rebuild anyways. The oil is old and the seals feel shot.

My question is, What are my options? I thought I read somewhere that I could swap the GSXR forks onto my Kat. Is this true? If so, I would appreciate some more info about this (maybe a link) and where I could find these forks.

Also, if it possible to "fix" bent forks, or do you always just replace them?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -Paul Volk-
    95 GSX600f Katana

Try and find a second hand pair. Or call your local dealer they may know a company that can fix the problem.

Comment

Finding a used pair is no problem, but I need to know if the GSXR forks are an option or not... Anyone?
      -Paul Volk-
      95 GSX600f Katana

Comment

You can put the GSXR forks in but you will need both the upper and lower triple trees. If you can find it a front wheel as wheel. You can alos take a pair of 98+ forks and put them right in a pre98 I think. I looked at the 98+ trees and they seem to be just like the pre98 ones. Look around on ebay and see if you can get the whole front end.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

im not sure what year the kat is, but i havea 98 and and ran into the same problem after purchasing it. i ended up using the fork tubes from the pre 98 kat and put the tubes into my fork legs. the pre 98 are 3/4" shorter than the 98+ but i compensated some by lowering the forks in the tree. but if you are want to put the gsxr forks into it, then it can be much more expensive due to the need for the tree, and rim, and if i remeber correctly some of the other mounts would be different as well

Comment

You will need

Triples
            Fork tubes
            Front wheel
            Front brakes
            Axle
            Front fender (if you want one)

The front forks will also need to be reworked with heavier springs and possibly some other upgrades to the dampers in order to accept/control the Kat's (much) heavier weight. Don't forget, the Kat is a LOT heavier than even the old GSXR, not to mention that if you're a big guy, you'll need to take it even further with regards to springs.
            FrankenKat 1216
            GS Fiter 816
            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
            X