Def. think tranny is gone.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Def. think tranny is gone.

Hey guys,
    I was going about 70 on the highway today, 6th gear. Got off the ramp, still in 6th gear...all of a sudden imagine the loudest high pitched screech ever.

I gave it throttle, but all the engine did was rev...i was able to park it, and i shifted thru each gear just to see...in each gear i gave it gas, all it did was rev!

I havent taken the fairings off to view it yet, but when i push the bike i can hear this strange noise...also, from looking at the chain....the side of the chain plates somehow got grinded?

Also, the clutch lever is really hard to squeeze, like something is in its way.

Any ideas?

just wait for the posts to come in...Sorry to hear the bad news
    I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

sounds like you blew a clutch no biggie take the right side cover off and take the clutch basket cover off should be 4 or 5 bolts with springs and take the clutch out. buy a new clutch if thats the problem and put it back toghter. if you blew a tranny it would have locked the rear wheel. and you wouldnt be able to shift thru the gears

Comment

+1 Sin...

If the tranny blew I think you would have had a lot more to worry about at 70mph than a "high pitch screech".

How much is a clutch and springs these days? Mine seems to slip a little when I really "get on it".
        I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Re: Def. think tranny is gone.

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
          Hey guys,
          , but when i push the bike i can hear this strange noise...also, from looking at the chain....the side of the chain plates somehow got grinded?

Also, the clutch lever is really hard to squeeze, like something is in its way.

Any ideas?
          hmmm unless you some how snapped the clutch pusher rod and the whole mechinize inside the front sprocket cover id check there too

Comment

Sin, I think thats the problem (clutch pusher rod)! I feel this way because the sideplates of the chain got scraped up.

Also, i cant squeeze the lever, but when i move the bike forward a bit, the lever squeezes

Thanks...please write back

Comment

id check both places jsut to make sure

Comment

UPDATE!

Somehow, the castle nut that keeps the front sprocket on broke loose! The nut is gone!? It looks like my chain tried to hop off the threaded shaft, and it was pushing up against the sprocket cover, which is also how the side plate got worn down!!!

So it seems simple!?

Comment

not so simple did the chain mangle the end of the shaft ???? cause if it did its not gonna let to put the nut back on that hold the sprocket and put it on with a impact gun and a dab of locktite there also a small 10mm head 6mm bolt that suppose to bolt inrto the end of the shaft to help hold the nut on

Comment

The shaft looks good, the threads are still clean. I did not know there was a screw that fit into the hole after the nut was put on it!

Thanks for all ur help!

Comment

Hey guys...

I need #47. Its a 20 MM nut, can I buy that at home depot or anywhere, or is it a special part i should get from the stealer?

Comment

well if the thread are ok your about the lucky person i know cause it was duff daddy who had the same thing happen and it hammered his shaft took the threads clean off so put the sprocket back on and put a new nut and locktite and use and impact gun and put it on put the bolt in the end of the shaft and probally a new clutch pusher rod im glad you got off semi cheap 8)

Comment

totally! me too!

Comment

Working...
                          X