Radiator sizes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator sizes

Hi folks!

Wondering if someone out there could spare some time to measure out their (pre 98) kat 600 radiator (and maybe a 750 radiator)? My engine overheated in slow traffic a bit so I did an oil change and checked the spark plugs and in the process discovered a 750 engine where a 600 should be LOL. Just want to make sure I've got the right size rad on it!

Thanks!
    Jane
    PakkeRat - [pak*rat] small little mouse capable of collecting everything and never throwing anything away

i thought we agreed that your bike was a 750 and not a 600?

either way, it is possible to overheat in stop and go traffic since the katanas are air/oil cooled. when you're stopped there's no airflow to keep the oil cooler do it's job. check the fins on the cooler and make sure that they're in decent shape.

Long Live the D

Comment

hehe its the 600 frame VIN, wheelbase, and 2 seat attachment arrangement (under that banana seat) that is making me believe that "some" part of it is not a 750...go back to that post ^^

I believe nitros222 answered that his 600 rad is 4 5/8 x 16 x 1 1/4 and I've measured mine to be 7 x 17 x ??. So I'll assume I have a 750 rad for the 750 engine.

Checked the fins and they seemed to be in ok shape. I might wonder if they've been painted (with the wrong type of paint) and I will avoid icky traffic as much as I can!!

Thank you!

Will keep digging up clues as to parentage :P

Jane
      PakkeRat - [pak*rat] small little mouse capable of collecting everything and never throwing anything away

Comment

The easiest whay to tell a Pre 98 750 rad from a 600 is the oil connection..
        The 750 has a bulkhead held with two screws..
        The 600 a banjo with one crossdrilled screw
        (like a brake line connection.)

Pics:

Comment

Originally posted by PakkeRat
          2 seat attachment arrangement (under that banana seat) that is making me believe that "some" part of it is not a 750...go back to that post ^^
          No Suzuki used tee double seat latch on the 750..
          I took it off and "DOH!!" the rear of the seat pops up while riding..
          It's a major PIA to unlatch.. so if any one listening decides to remove one.. Remove the keyed one not the "ripcord" one..

I believe nitros222 answered that his 600 rad is 4 5/8 x 16 x 1 1/4 and I've measured mine to be 7 x 17 x ??. So I'll assume I have a 750 rad for the 750 engine.
          That seems to agree with the pics I posted.. I never knew the 750 rad was so much larger..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            2 seat attachment arrangement (under that banana seat) that is making me believe that "some" part of it is not a 750...go back to that post ^^
            No Suzuki used tee double seat latch on the 750..
            I took it off and "DOH!!" the rear of the seat pops up while riding..
            It's a major PIA to unlatch.. so if any one listening decides to remove one.. Remove the keyed one not the "ripcord" one..

That seems to agree with the pics I posted.. I never knew the 750 rad was so much larger..
            LOL thanx blackpeter...NOW u tell me :P Where were you a month ago when i removed the ripcord one...I have noticed it popping up but i'm small so it doesn't seem to bug me too much ^^ plus i still have the ripcord somewhere

Also looking at my friend's bandit 12 rad, it's tiny!!! but perhaps having no fairings make a difference!

Jane

Comment

LOL thanx blackpeter...NOW u tell me :P Where were you a month ago when i removed the ripcord one...I have noticed it popping up but i'm small so it doesn't seem to bug me too much ^^ plus i still have the ripcord somewhere

Sorry..
              Unless you keep valuables under there try using just the rip cord one.
              I'm not sure if you can adapt the rear latch to work with the keyed
              cable.. That is what I hope to do.. If I can ever find another latch on e-bay that is.. Natually I discovered the problem with the seat the day AFTER
              the trash was picked up!!

Also looking at my friend's bandit 12 rad, it's tiny!!! but perhaps having no fairings make a difference!
              Maybe, I know what you mean it is quite a bit smaller..
              Not sure if that is a fairing thing or not. Some people here would argue that
              the radiator is less effective without a fairing..
              I'm inclined to agree with you..

Comment

you bike looks like a 750 to me, but then again that is just fairing work.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                X